Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How on earth can we gloss over sending 19 year old girls to Iraq?

I heard a retired soldier being interviewed who said he didn't believe women should be anywhere near the front lines, even in support positions like Lynch's. The reason, he said, was precisely because of situations like hers - if a female soldier was captured by the enemy it could potentially really endanger the whole operation. He gave as an example a situation where a female POW is raped or tortured in front of male comrades in order to get information from them or deter them from going forward with a mission. He felt that since men have an ingrained and often overwhelming desire to protect women, they would be more likely to break down in such a situation than if the fellow soldier was male. Of course in Lynch's case this worked in her favor in the end, because the Iraqi informant who who told Americans where she was may not have taken the risk had she been male. And in fact it underscores the point that many guys will go to any length to protect a woman, even if (as in this case) it means betraying your own country and/or putting your own life or family at risk. I don't think there are any easy answers to this one.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the stranger: [b]Originally posted by GZsound: Education is provided to all our citizens for free by law in this country. There are many, many options for getting continuing education, community college education, on line education, or even free public library education. There are government grants, community education programs, social programs, etc. Have you ever pursued any of these? [/b] Let me think back... 12 years of high school, six years of college, one and a half years of US Navy Electronics Technician school, and 24 hours per year of continuing education for my Real Estate and Mortgage Broker occupations....How about you?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound: [b]Let me think back... 12 years of high school[/b][/quote]Wow! 12 years of high school! Did you have trouble passing that Trig exam? You must have been like 26 when you finally graduated! :D [i](I'm kidding, in case that's not clear)[/i] - Jeff

I typically stay out of Iraq threads, but when I first saw this one, I thought, "hey, she signed up for the gig - it's not like she was drafted!" And then I remembered that girls aren't even required to register for the draft anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe someone should make up their mind about whether we want equality of the sexes or not, or even if it's always the right thing to do.

Archived