Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

amr

I thought that I might mention this site, in line with our recent discussion of DAGAD and other acoustic guitar open tuning resources. If I'm not buying from live shows, I buy here. I like their compilations, too.

http://www.acousticmusicresource.com/

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the "LJ Plays..." CD. The former Wings guitarist is really something, and he got attention by playing the Beatles music, but now he fights that... he wants to get respect for his own work, which is quite nice. That CD was touted as the ,"Okay, I'm done, don't ask em to play the Beatles anymore, listen to what I am doing now..." but of course that has not worked. No matter how great his own stuff might be, people are always going to want to hear his interpretation of Beatle songs, because he has done it so well.

I saw him blow the doors of off a "Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar Night" at the Wildhorse. After all the rockers were kicking ass all night, he came up with his acoustic and did "Strawberry Fields". When he finished, for a second it was as if someone had sucked all the air out of the room... total silence. Then the place exploded in cheering. It was amazing.

My girl is very fond of his version of "Little Wing", from "The Collection" CD.

I've recommended this one before, too. Ed Gerhard doing an interwoven "In My Life/If I Fell".

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

I have the "LJ Plays..." CD. The former Wings guitarist is really something, and he got attention by playing the Beatles music, but now he fights that... he wants to get respect for his own work, which is quite nice.

I got LJ's Altered Reality which is often cited as a prime example of superbly recorded tone for solo acoustic guitar. I've only listened to it a few times but I can attest to the quality of his tone, feel and stellar playing.

LJ Plays the Beatles and One Wing are also on my radar for potential future purchases.

I've recommended this one before, too. Ed Gerhard doing an interwoven "In My Life/If I Fell".
I got Mr. Gerhard's Live Album and I really like his playing on Hawaiian lap steel: he gets an amazing tone and his slide playing is supercharged with emotion.

Regarding AMR, I was a bit disappointed with their packaging: the CDs were only tightly wrapped in a box with no extra packaging material and both jewel cases were broken on arrival.

Archived