Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a guitar PROBLEM... HELP ME! In need of big help!

Shred Till I Die

Okay, I play a Ibanez GRG270, its has a lock nut, which is suppose to keep the guitar in tune.

But okay here's the problem which has happened pretty recently, say, a week ago:

Whenever I tune the first two strings(Higher E and standard A String)of my guitar and lock it and proceed tuning with the next two strings(D and G String),the first two strings(Higher E and Standard A) somehow start to turn a half-step lower than what I want it to be. Sometimes it tunes itself a half-step higher. Sadly, this problem comes in many forms. But the main problem is that I CAN'T KEEP MY GUITAR ON-TUNE!

From this very hour, I still can't get my guitar to stay on-tune :( It's such a dissappointment! So all you guitar experts, please tell What do!

PS: I don't use my tremolo bar and this problem has occured with old strings and new strings. Oh yeh, I use Ernie Ball strings(11,13,18p,28,38,48)

-Shred Till I Die-

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a floyd rose style floating trem? If so the blades may have become blunt, in which case the trem moves about too much... Im not sure if that is repaireable or whether ud have to replace the trem??

It could just be a matter of cross tuning your guitar instead of going in the order EADGBe try tuning it by tuning Bottom E then Top E then A then B and so on and so forth. (Tune 6, Tune 1, Tune 5, Tune 2, Tweak 6, Tweak 1, Tune 4, Tune 3, Tweak 6, Tweak 1, Tweak 5, Tweak 2, Tweak 4, Tweak 3.... Do some more tweaking... then some more... and finally your floating trem is tuned)

The floating trems are a bit of a pain to tune if you take all the strings off at once to do a change.

No its not floyd rose style tremolo. Its an ibanez floating tremolo. Ohh okay, so cross tuning will work? So do you think I should loosen up all the lock nuts before I tune the strings or loosen some and lock them afterwards? or do you suggest another method?

IF YOU STILL HAVE OTHER ADVICE ALL OF YOU, PLEASE POST DOWN SOME OF IT! I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

-Shred Till I Die-

if i remember correctly, there is a specific order in which to close th knot... i think it was to close the first 2 strings, then the last 2 strings and then finally lock the middle 2 strings ... or something like that, ill get back to you on that one
I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Hey I just found out it my guitar has a floyd rose type of trem. So what do you mean the blades became blunt?

So can anyone give another explanation or solution for my first and main question????

"But the main problem is that I CAN'T KEEP MY GUITAR ON-TUNE!" -Shred Till' Death-

Btw, thanks LEE83 and BRAXAT for giving me a method of tuning.

-Shred Till I Die-

well, shred, ur problem of not being perfectly tuned may be caused by the locking order, if you dont lock them evenly it may cause the strings to put more or less preassure and everything involving vectors and phisics and all but the idea is that there is a certain sequence to keep it in tune, and also, dont worry if its not 100% tuned after locking, thats why u have the adjusting device at the other side of the bridge ( to re-tune and get it 100% accurate ) ... lets say locks need a double tunning =p
I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

when tuning up a "floyd" style floating trem, you must make sure the strings are fully stretched and stable before locking it down (the nut that is).

if you want a trick i can suggest one.

take a block of wood that is thin enough to fit between the trem block and the rear of the route where the springs are so that the trem sits level.

now loosen the springs (counter clockwise on the screws that hold the claw) so that the string tension makes the trem block hold the block of wood.

now tune that guitar up and stretch the strings till they are stabilised. once you are in tune you can clamp the nut locks. then turn the guitar over and slowly screw in the "claw screws" (evenly a bit at a time) until the wood block falls out. it should be still in tune and floating.

main point is make sure it is level (the trem) when you block it.

seeing you are using heavy strings you will need to have at least 3 springs to offset the tension for the 11's you are using. maybe even 4.

when a trem floats it is balanced between string and spring tension. when you tune one string it will increase the tension and cause the trem to pull away from the body. it is a tug of war. so you need to block it to get the guitar in tune and then adjust the springs until it is equal to the string tension, which causes the block of wood to be free and fall out.

Correction, Braxat, Shred was only tuning up the bottom (E & A) strings then locking the nut for those two, then proceeded to tune the next set of two. He didn't allow the trem to equalize the tension by tuning all 6 strings prior to locking the nut (if that makes sense).

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Unlock the nut completely. (Loosen all three clamps.)

Then tune ALL the strings as close as you can.

Then lock down the three clamps at the nut and use the fine tuners at the bridge to get the strings in tune if they've gone out slightly.

Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

Originally posted by Braxat:

locking hte nut is whats causing the strings to go out of tune dc !

zan, i love ur new avatar

thanks man, i like your Yamaha. i used to have a RGX 721 dg. your Yammy is sweet, love the carved top.

one point for helping floyd equipped guitars keep in tune when clamping the nut is making sure the string retaining bar is low enough to keep the strings flat in the nut before the clamps are tightened.

Check out Dan Erlwine's book for great tips on setting up a Floyd type trem. It will show you everything you need to know about setting it up, tuning, etc. My brother used it to set up his Wolfgang and he said that it made it much easier and MUCH quicker. It's a must have book no matter what kind of guitar you have, electric or acoustic.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived