Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts on Playing Guitar

LavaMan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Braxat:

ofcourse, the main thing is to be happy with what you do and not go all dramatic because u cant play 1 passage or because u cant get tht one wah down etc, the important thing is to have fun

Right! but it's fun to get that passage down isn't it! but don't let it go, keep at it untill you get it and in the trying you become a better player. It's not only in playing guitar, it applies to anything that takes hard work.

No pain, No gain =D

besides, playing that riff u tok ages to master or that passage just gives u a sense of self accomplishment, you know whats funny though, if i wanna pick up a song from a tab or score i cant play it, no matter how simple it is, but the next day once ive learned the notes ill just fly right throught as easy as a warm knife cutting butter

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Braxat:

ofcourse, the main thing is to be happy with what you do and not go all dramatic because u cant play 1 passage or because u cant get tht one wah down etc, the important thing is to have fun

Right! but it's fun to get that passage down isn't it! but don't let it go, keep at it untill you get it and in the trying you become a better player. It's not only in playing guitar, it applies to anything that takes hard work.
Right on! Many years ago when I was in a cover band, I shared the guitar spot with an older, crankier, sourpuss.

One of our tunes was Gary Moore's version of Shapes. He always took the lead part because... well, because he was an asshole and just did it.

The problem was... he did it all wrong. I'm not always of the mindset that you should do a lead solo note for note but that particular one rocked. I practiced it for a few weeks by myself (in secret) and played it for the rest of the band when I was ready. I got the solo spot for that tune.

It was a rewarding experience learning that particular solo.

Originally posted by lee83:

You lucky sonofagun! My g/f hates my resonator... in fact she has listed all my guitars in order of how loud/annoying she finds them :)

1 being the most annoying

1. Reso

2. 12 String

3. 6 String acoustic

4. Electric (because i can plug in the headphones)

The funny thing is that I'd actually like to get rid of the reso but she won't let me.

See, I basically wanted "an acoustic guitar" (a generic acoustic guitar) and I bought the reso on impulse. But over the years I've found that the reso's too thin and metallic and has no bottom end and all that. In short, it sounds like a reso and is a bit of a one trick pony.

On the other hand, my wife reckons that it has a lot of personality and that it's a beautiful looking guitar and that I should never get rid of it.

I'd buy a second acoustic but I've run out of room for guitars. **tsk** :rolleyes:

I have to agree with the basic premise of this thread... we play because we enjoy it! There may be some who play for a living and have grown tired of it, at least some of the stuff they have to play, and some of the audiences they have to play for.

And the thing of "I am my own guitar hero," well, I might not put it quite that way, but at some point most of us realize we will never be someone else (however heroic) and decide to be our own person, musically and otherwise!

i just cant stop being amazed of how many people u can impress with the simplest of licks or passages, for instance, las night, there was a girl drooling all over me because i played this little 3 string passage ( not even in a high tempo ) ... i was like "hey, im not even trying and besides, ur bf is at my compter, at least break up with him first ! "
I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Archived