Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts on Playing Guitar

LavaMan

More than anything I just love to play....

I don't care if I can't play scales, arpeggios, sweeps etc...very well...or that there will always be someone with better technical ability...

I don't care that I don't have time to play everyday - when I do play I get into it and have a good time...

What's important to me is feel, emotion and communicating my own unique voice and style...

I do want to sound or play like anyone else - I am my own guitar hero...

Tone and quality sound is extremely important to me - when I dig in and bend a note I want it to ring true with warm sustain or slightly overdriven clean...no mud is my motto, as I like it when others tell me I have a nice "fat" sound...

Ultimately I just enjoy playing guitar, plain and simple.

Nuff said.

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

Your One-Stop Custom Cable Shop

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pick it up every chance I get. A solidbody allows me to work out exercises while watching TV and not set off Little Miss Short Fuse. Lots of dead time can be improved upon with an axe in your hands. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

My better half has resorted to wearing headphones to watch TV :D But if i play through ER i get an arse kick and a half

I can see where your coming from tho lava, all i want to do is play guitar... the only time i really come into music forums is when im at work and i cant play guitar instead :)

This journey from fret to fret and string to string-

a series of quick stops,

soliciting and inciting the empty air

to fill itself with colors that can't be seen

a familiar route

almost a circuit

that offers nuance in place of surprise.

Listen, my fingers are singing.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by lee83:

My better half has resorted to wearing headphones to watch TV :D But if i play through ER i get an arse kick and a half

I must be a pretty beloved husband then. I can actually play resonator while we're watching TV.

In theory, I am supposed to play really softly, but the heck can one play softly on a reso?

i play guitar while i have music on the computer AND tv on and my sister has HER music on her computer across the room, heck, im playing who cares about anything else aroudn me, im not actually there anyways im up in guitar heaven =p

and... confession be made, i dont know a full cover song either

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I must be a pretty beloved husband then. I can actually play resonator while we're watching TV.

In theory, I am supposed to play really softly, but the heck can one play softly on a reso?

You lucky sonofagun! My g/f hates my resonator... in fact she has listed all my guitars in order of how loud/annoying she finds them :)

1 being the most annoying

1. Reso

2. 12 String

3. 6 String acoustic

4. Electric (because i can plug in the headphones)

But i think the deciding factor on it is that i did tend to play the same piece for 4 hours solid, so now i start on the Reso and work my way down the list throughout the night :D She seems happier with that AND it forces me into playing more of a variety

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I pick it up every chance I get. A solidbody allows me to work out exercises while watching TV and not set off Little Miss Short Fuse. Lots of dead time can be improved upon with an axe in your hands. :thu:

Yep! I can work out my scale/melody work over and over and over again without her going to the kitchen and grabbing a meat cleaver.

I can't do any speed work with a metronome though.

If I do play through an amp while she's here, I'll just entertain her with some tunes. Stairway to Heaven, though awesome is probably known by everyone on this forum but she likes to hear it so I play it. It soothes the savage beast. :D

1 being the most annoying

1. Reso

2. 12 String

3. 6 String acoustic

4. Electric (because i can plug in the headphones)

On my wife's list, I would be most annoying.. then we add the guitars. :D

Ah, I kid, I kid. She didn't give me shit about getting a Strat so it's not all that bad.

Originally posted by Braxat:

i play guitar while i have music on the computer AND tv on and my sister has HER music on her computer across the room, heck, im playing who cares about anything else aroudn me, im not actually there anyways im up in guitar heaven =p

and... confession be made, i dont know a full cover song either

OK BRAX...I gotta ask....what does that =p MEAN???

well, if u think that i learned spanish because its my maternal language....

i CAN cover any songs, i just dont learn them by heart ( complete ) or play them complete for when im alone, if im gonna play with some1 i will learn the song but since i dont practice it completley ill just end up forgetting it and having to re learn it whenever im gonna re play it.

the =P is a smiley sticking the tongue out, and the =D is a smiley with a big smile hehe

the Oo is a WTF smiley.

so when i said " know " i mean by heart and that i play to its full extent when im alone.

I never play a cover song exactly the way the original band played it. I like to put my stamp on it, whether it be playing a oldie tune faster or with a "crunchier guitar" or adding or "subtracting" where I think it sounds good. I did so when I was in a power pop band in high school. We played a mix of cover and originals, but the covers never sounded just like they did originally. Sometimes I'd change the key or even simplify it to emphasize another part of the song. (We did a pretty cool cover of "Runaround Sue" not to mention we had a female singer, which made things interesting)

I think the closest I played a song that sounded like the original was "creep" by Radiohead, but I still didn't play it exactly the same.

It's wierd how every song is unique, yet connected in way that allows a person to play the same song, but give it a different feel, sometimes a different message. Of course, sometimes I don't like how others play a certain song; for example, I saw a band play live that covered "voodoo child" , who performed it decent, but it lacked something. Not that it didn't sound like Hendrix, but just lacked the power of the original. I think a lot had to do with the intro. When I listen to the Hendrix version I love when he goes from the "wah" lead into the blaring crunch when the band joins in. There is power in there that wasn't tapped into when this band performed it. I think a lot has to do with the tone and how it was played. The guitar player in the band I saw just seemed like "here's a Hendrix song, here's the notes" when it should have been "THIS is ME playing a Hendrix song with my unique stamp and energy..." If that makes any sense.

Now I'm not knocking anyone down, because I'm not great myself. actually, when I bought my Vox wah pedal back in high school that was the first lick I played (voodoo child), but I couldn't even get the right sound/tone that I wanted for playing the whole song because I think I was trying to play it perfectly, needless to say I never covered that song in front of anybody. (Some songs should be left alone sometimes, but then again, if I feel froggy I may try my take on that song again, of course I would like a band to play it with)

Hope you enjoyed that rant! :)

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

I CAN cover any songs, i just dont learn them by heart ( complete ) or play them complete for when im alone, if im gonna play with some1 i will learn the song but since i dont practice it completley ill just end up forgetting it and having to re learn it whenever im gonna re play it.

Yarr.

Originally posted by blitzkrieg bop:

I never play a cover song exactly the way the original band played it. I like to put my stamp on it, whether it be playing a oldie tune faster or with a "crunchier guitar" or adding or "subtracting" where I think it sounds good.

This is what I do each week at an open mic jam I go to. I play covers that each ends up being a 6-10 minute jam, with interludes, decrescendos, solo spots for all. In fact each week the songs take on a different flavaor based on everyone's mood.

Again - I'm just out there to have fun and play the hell out of my guitar!

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

yea, each time you " copy " or play a cover down to the exact same bend and wah and slide and duration and its an exact replica of the original it just gets boring... well, at least it is to me, its always fun to put ur own little twist into what you play and as " Bops " There said, say " Hey, THIS IS ME HERE "

Originally posted by Braxat:

yea, each time you " copy " or play a cover down to the exact same bend and wah and slide and duration and its an exact replica of the original it just gets boring... well, at least it is to me, its always fun to put ur own little twist into what you play and as " Bops " There said, say " Hey, THIS IS ME HERE "

Well, yes and no. IF you copy a cover tune to it's EXACT replica then I could see it being boring to ya. But no short cuts now!! no letting a passage go because you CAN'T play the chop! untill you can ACTUALLY pull off a lick it should not be boring to you. It's sometimes easy to pull off 90% of a cover tune, it's many times the last 10% that makes the real difference. :D

Originally posted by Mc Kitty O'Riley:

This journey from fret to fret and string to string-

a series of quick stops,

soliciting and inciting the empty air

to fill itself with colors that can't be seen

a familiar route

almost a circuit

that offers nuance in place of surprise.

Listen, my fingers are singing.

very nicely said

Well, yes and no. IF you copy a cover tune to it's EXACT replica then I could see it being boring to ya. But no short cuts now!! no letting a passage go because you CAN'T play the chop! untill you can ACTUALLY pull off a lick it should not be boring to you. It's sometimes easy to pull off 90% of a cover tune, it's many times the last 10% that makes the real difference.
Yes, I agree with this to a point, it really depends on the song that you are covering. Like the Hendrix sample I used above, now if someone were to skip that famous intro because they can't play it, it would be hard to say that they are covering Voodoo Child. Although that may be what they are adding in a sense, for example if they played the song with a different effect or with heavy distortion faster.

Like I said, some songs I wouldn't touch because I feel i wouldn't do them justice, even by adding my own personality to it; and I'll admit I'm not the most technical player in the world.

But no short cuts now!! no letting a passage go because you CAN'T play the chop!
This part I may disagree with. Armed with an "old school punk attitude" ...hey, if I need to not play a certain part because I can't, I will change it so I can if I feel I can still make it Rock and sound good! :-)
"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

I learned at a young age that because you love to play you pick it up any chance you can. Amplification can ALWAYS be a problem when people are around...ie. family, friends, police. This thread reminded me of my high school days. When i needed to 'curl one up' (take a dump) I would bring my guitar in the bathroom with me. The door was to the left of the shitter and if I held the headstock of my Kapa Continental against it it would resonate and increase the sound. Brings new meanings to Mom yelling, "What are you doing in there so long?" I wish I still had that Kapa...I googled it the other day and found one just like mine.

Originally posted by Tesha:

Who would learn Spanish just to lock himself in a room and talk to himself?

You don't talk to yourself? Bbach talks to himself. Don't you Bbach? Well, yes I do.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

This thread has definitely taken an angle I had not expected...

Wow.

One more thought in the vein this thread has taken:

I have played in numerous cover bands and not one of those has ever sounded exactly like the original - this usually to the combined lack of technical ablity and tone replication ability of all the band members, not just me.

Did we care? NO! As long as we got it close enough to have fun with and the audience woud recognize it. I have probably performed 350+ cover songs over the years in different bands and only on about 5% of those was my solo note-for-note, Again, Did I care? NO! As long as I got within proximity - in the Army we call that hand grenade range...

The hardest song I ever covered in a band was Red Barchetta by Rush. I spent hours on all the solo pieces of that song, and my band spent 3 months rehearsing it before we played it out. We had a female vocalist who was extremely good, so that made the song interesting. In the end we probably had a 85% solution - and we were happy with that!

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

ofcourse, the main thing is to be happy with what you do and not go all dramatic because u cant play 1 passage or because u cant get tht one wah down etc, the important thing is to have fun

Archived