Jump to content

Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fender two point tremolo system - replace with flat bridge?

SF audio

Recommended Posts

I have a strat deluxe body routed for the 2 point American trem system. There's a custom shop bridge designed to replace vintage trem's - would it work with the two system? Can I convert my two point floating trem to a fixed bridge, even if it requires some routing/mods?



The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about converting your trem body to a Hard tail or fixed position bridge. That could take a lot of tedious and risky work (e.g. filling in the trem recess with wood, glue, etc. positioning and mounting a fixed bridge properly).


I suggest you work with the body you have and instead try a better trem such as the trem bridges made by hipshotproducts.com. This company also makes the tremsetter which is a good trem stabilizer that I have on all my Strats. They have an innovative two post bridge which retrofits to the American Standard. You merely use their bridge mounting posts and bridge, which have a neat bind-free ball bearing design, in lieu of the American standard post and bridge. This hipshot trem bridge is a top notch design improvement over standard bridges and stays in tune even after vigorous trem use but without the drawbacks of a Floyd Rose bridge. A friend retrofitted his Amer. Standard Strat with one and really likes it. Check it out on their aforementioned website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd either do pretty much the same as Lancer detils above, or simply have the bottom of the bridge-plate rest flat against the top of the body, useing all five springs with the claw backed in a good ways, and block in the inertia-block (that block of metal that the strings feed through) with a couple of pieces of wood on the underside, between the block and the walls in front of and behind it in its cavity. The trem will be immobilized, you'll get a fuller, more solid and sustaining tone, and you'll still get that touch of a sort of mechanical-reverb from the springs.


But there is at least one company out there other than Fender that makes a top-mounted hard-tail conversion unit, or at least there was; I believe that they had been featured in that Out Now advertising-showcase in Guitar Player magazine...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?


~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...