Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Non-shredders that tap?

Virtual Jim

So for the past three months I've been sitting on this song for my band. It's very new-wavish and shoegazey, and I had trouble thinking of something that didn't sound like a sappy U2 lead line. Then at work it dawned on me: TAP! No, seriously. It works. I'm doing an appregio-like pattern thing-a-ma-gig. If you just rolled your eyes, I understand, but it's fun to pretend I'm a keyboard for four minutes.

Anyway...

This got me thinking about guitarists that tap that don't shred. GP covered Regi Wooten a year or so ago (HEY EDITOR: We need more of that!), and the guy in Minus the Bear does it. Can anyone think of any other? Preferably in the realm of rock?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Kaki was inspired in large part by Michael Hedges, who was doing a more consonant version of what she does before she was born. ;) And he probably learned it from someone else as well. I don't know if Pierre Bensusan is known for tapping, but he was a big influence on Michael.

Stanley Jordan's tapping is wonderful, moreso (IMO) on arrangements of other people's music. His own music (and I'm speaking based on a small sampling of his early work, so someone correct me if this has changed in 20 years. ;) ) was very repetitive in form whereas is covers sounded like two disparate elements together. (Such as two entirely different musicians playing complimentary parts.)

Stanley's version of Thad Jones' A Child Is Born is nothing short of amazing. Pure emotion.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

michael hedges - way before justin, kaki, juber, reed, blah blah blah.

check out aerial boundaries

Before Juber?? I don't know about that. Laurence was playing with Wings in the early 1970's. I'm not familiar with him tapping, but I certainly wouldn't guess when he began using the technique onstage or on record. It could very well have been before Aerial Boundaries in 1986 or even Michael's first records a few years earlier.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

juber's first solo guitar releases were in the 90's, post-hedges by close to a decade (hedges first solo release was '81). his discography is here: http://laurencejuber.com/music/music.html

But again, he's been around with Macca and others and recording since the 1970's and began his solo career at about the same time Hedges came out. (1981) He may be on record tapping with any number of artists he played guitar for in the 1970's. I don't know.

(BTW - Just pulled out Gyptology again. Love that album, Funk. ;) )

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

my point is: in the acoustic guitar world, hedges is largely recognized as a pioneer in terms of taking a known device and turning it into a compositional tool.

i'm not trying to take away from anyone elses contributions - but i remember when hedges came out and turned the guitar world on its head because of his sheer imagination..

Steve Hackett; he was tapping in Genesis at least as far back as "Dance With the Moonlit Knight" from SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND; and earlier than that, possibly on "Return of the Giant Hogweed" from NURSERYCRYMES. Throws it in throughout his solo career.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived