Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fun Project.

AeroG33k

I bought a cheap, seemingly home-made (no-name) acoustic guitar from a friend for $5 (he was going to smash or burn it on stage, but I was not going to let this happen). It has a very nice green/black sunburst finish and I decided to turn it into a little art/fun project, but I'd like it to be playable...or as playable as possible. It is a classical guitar (strung with steel strings when i got it, no wonder he felt it didn't sound right). There's a lot of scratches and smaller blemishes, most of which don't bother me too much. Let it be said that I have no experience with actually building or refurbishing guitars. Anyway, my plan for the guitar looks like this: I removed the glued-on single ply pickguard (it was crooked and cheap looking) as well as the glued on rosette pattern around the soundhole. The fretboard was covered in a very "sticky" matt paint which I didn't like the feel or look of at all (I also suspect it killed sustain), so I sanded the neck down to the natural wood (which I believe is soft maple).

I had the idea to go with a greek/classical philosophy 'theme,' inspired by apollo's temple in delphi. On the neck it's going to say "gnothi sauton" (Know thyself) in greek letters going down the frets. At first I was going to burn this in, but just painting it seems to be a better idea. Around the soundhole, I was going to spraypaint a laurel wreath pattern with a metallic green/blue chameleon effect paint, which I think will go great with the green of the actual body. Flashy but subtle. I was also thinking about using the same spraypaint to spray on the letters on the neck. I will post pictures as I finish it. However, my main questions are:

-How should I 'paint' the letters on the neck? Spraypaint? Burn it into the wood?

-What finish should I use over the neck to make it smooth and 'fix' the painted letters? Would a clear nitrocellulose spray-on finish work on the neck?

-After I spray on the metallic paint for the laurel wreath rosette, should I coat it and the rest of the body with that same nitrocellulose finish?

-Any other ideas/tips?

:wave:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally wouldnt paint or burn anything at all on the fret board (if thats what you meant) im not sure it'll feel to good under yer fingers... and it could just totally screw the wood up...

The only thing i would do to smooth it up is sanding with very light sand/glass paper or emery cloth then rub in some lemon oil.

If you have a local luthier he/she should be able to sell you some spray on guitar finish (a bit like that airfix stuff i think??) you have to just build up the layers very thinly. Dont whack any finish on too thick as it will take away from the resonance... It would probably be advisable to respray the whole body if your spraying a bit of it but i would sand the old finish back a bit first.

I keep meaning to get round to doing a similar sort of thing to my old acoustic... but i havent got the balls to do it yet.. it was my first guitar and i like the tone it has so im kinda worried ill screw it up :) Sentimental value an all that. I may do the same as you and get a cheapo thing to try it on.

Would you be able to let us know what problems you come across (if any) so I know what to look out for :)

I was a bit concerned about the fretboard, thats why I probably won't 'burn' it, because you'll need a lot of coating over it to make it smooth. It is sanded very smooth though but the wood doesn't feel right when it's not finished. However, the greek letters are a big part of the design and I still want them on there. My friend is helping me and she knows about art and different kinds of paint, but not about guitars.

Would painting the wood really be a problem if I apply a clear finish over it? Can I use the same finish for the neck as for the body (nitrocell.) or is that a no-no?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Archived