Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eric Johnson Signature Strat

Wheelz

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played it. The thing I liked best and found most interesting was the taper of the volume and tone controls. They allow for some amazing fine tuning. I liked he pickup output too. They seemed, at best, normal output and were very complex sounding. Cool guitar and VERY custom, there are a lot of details I'm not mentioning because they aren't to my taste, so check it out and see what you think!
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0117702803_md.jpghttp://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0117702806_md.jpghttp://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0117702809_md.jpg

Eric Johnson Stratocaster®

The long-awaited Eric Johnson Stratocaster guitar arose from Johnsons express wish to give something back to the collectors, players and fans whove supported him throughout his career.

Designed by Johnson himself with his own personal features and preferences, this signature model has a highly contoured two-piece alder body with a very thin nitrocellulous lacquer finish. The one-piece quarter-sawn maple neck has a V-shaped profile, 12 fingerboard radius and 21 polished frets. The staggered vintage-style machine heads eliminate the need for a string tree, and the custom pickups are wound to Johnsons specs. Other features include a parchment 57-style pickguard, four-spring vintage tremolo, silver-painted block and 57-style string recess with no paint between the base plate and the block.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

If you looked at a cross section of the neck from the binding down the shape would resemble the V,C or U. The V of which I use on some guitars are loved by thumb over players the U has a bit narower side slopes than the C but the lower part is shaped like the C (don't like the U shape for me) the C is a pretty constant side shape compared to the U and is very comfortable. How you choose is usually determined on how your hand/plam is shaped. The neck profile should fill your palm with out much light showing through when you hold a chord. In my case (totally a personal choice) I find far less hand arm fatigue playing a whole night with the C profile.

Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but I was rereading my Fender Frontline mag for the umpteenth time, and I like almost everything about this model, but I'd pass on it over the lack of a 22nd fret. This topic has also been addressed, but it seems like an oversight for a modern instrument - the same with the SRV, Trower, Yngwie, Raitt, JLV, Dale, and Burton models, to name a few. I mean, if I were to seek an original Deuce Coupe, or other historic item, I wouldn't mind that it lacked A/C or a real sound system, but you can bet that these creature comforts, and lots more, will be on, say, the new Nomad, if it ever makes production. The same for a REAL vintage Fender, vs. a contemporary model with fresh enginering ideas.

I know some people don't miss it or think they'd use it, but I don't see the point in deliberately omitting a feature that many have come to take for granted, as this is not a historic commemorative piece, but a cutting edge item that should have no intentional limitations placed on it, IMHO. I know it's nitpicking, but for the bucks they want for it, it should not make you feel that something easily included is missing.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I guess it's just if you percieve a 22nd fret as a real attritibute and it means that if you have it you can play some things that you couldn't play with one less fret, then you would never buy one of those models. I think the people playing the 21 fret models do quite well with it and apparently don't miss it at all. I think that if you wanted a "modern" instrument you would buy one, I have both and to me there is no practical difference except in some cases my historic or signiture models play better than my "modern" instruments. There are all kinds of inexpensive features that could be added into a historic instrument that wouldn't cost very much but they don't belong in a sig or reissue instrument.

Overall, it looks to be about 98% of what I want in a vintage-y Strat, really. A '50s-styled incarnation, anyways.

The Candy Apple Red one, with a maple 'board, would look sooo sweet with gold hardware. And I'd prefer it to have 23 frets. :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by ellwood:

I guess it's just if you percieve a 22nd fret as a real attritibute and it means that if you have it you can play some things that you couldn't play with one less fret, then you would never buy one of those models. I think the people playing the 21 fret models do quite well with it and apparently don't miss it at all. I think that if you wanted a "modern" instrument you would buy one, I have both and to me there is no practical difference except in some cases my historic or signiture models play better than my "modern" instruments. There are all kinds of inexpensive features that could be added into a historic instrument that wouldn't cost very much but they don't belong in a sig or reissue instrument.

That's sorta my point, Lee. It's not a historic instrument. It's got neck geometry unheard of in the glory days of Leo running the show. I agree that some older necks feel better, perhaps due to smaller frets, among other things, and EJ can certainly choose the fret count he wants. But I do use that fret often enough to miss it on my '71s for certain songs, and I wouldn't shell out the cash for ANY guitar that I felt wouldn't get me comfortably through a gig. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Well, I did take the EJ for a quick spin ( I didn't have the time to put it through the paces as I was late for an appointment). However, I like it alot, enough to go back with ample time to check it out thoroughly. Overall it does have a great feel, and the neck is very comfortable for my hand. The setup was just right for my taste. And I do feel/hear more sustain compared to a standard Strat. As far as the 22nd fret, well, I don't miss it on my current Strat. So, I don't think it would deter me from possibly owning this guitar. I'll post an update when I give it another try.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Archived