Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lap Steel with Varitone

comacoda

Anybody ever heard/played lap steel with varitone or some other interesting pickup option? I think it would be really cool to take the guts of the snarling dogs vary-tone pedal and put them in a cheap lapsteel.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, Ive seen a few of these around.... I've been dying to put a varitone in something, I can't afford anything that comes with one! I considered the ibanez in my pic, but it's better off sold unmollested. I'm sure I can hack (pun intended) installing a varitone type swith in a single pickup instrument. :) Could be a good wrist workout, playing lap steel. I'm not playing guitar right now and I like musicians friends 79.99 lap steel.

I have a Varitone I got as components from Torres in my Frankenstrat. I find it most useful for controlling the intensity of overdrive/distortion.

It's really easy to build, the actual components should only cost about $5.00 or so if you bought them at Radio Shack.

Also, because of the way it attaches - each pole of the output jack, it'd be easy to get a couple of jack sockets and a small project box, and make an in-line box - hey, you could even put a stomp switch/bypass on it. I've thought about it myself.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Coma, I'm confused! isn't the idea of Varitone mixing to be able to mix combinations between two pickups? I have Varitone on my ES355 and that is how it works. When I run two amps the stereo out jacks work off the Varitone. Would using Varitone with only one pickup be even worthwhile? or would it end up being pretty much just a tone switch?

Yes, you are exactly right, it would be a tone switch. There would be a middy setting, a bassy setting, a setting with highs rolled off.... It would allow for a little more variety, not the coolest aplication of a varitone but probably worthwhile... It would be alot like an eq switch really... I'm thinking about this used with a looper pedal like the boss or akai headrush. It would be neat to layer different voicings.

Lee, the Varitone I have (and the circuits I have seen) work on the output signal only - they are a variety of resistances terminating in a choke running to earth.

Try here and here.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

Lee, the Varitone I have (and the circuits I have seen) work on the output signal only - they are a variety of resistances terminating in a choke running to earth.

Try here and here.

You are correct Geoff and Reif, I guess I didn't have a good understanding of HOW it works :D but it sure is very effective! Ok so it would be a neat thing to use with the lap steel then!! :thu:

Geoff

It's really easy to build, the actual components should only cost about $5.00 or so if you bought them at Radio Shack.

Also, because of the way it attaches - each pole of the output jack, it'd be easy to get a couple of jack sockets and a small project box, and make an in-line box - hey, you could even put a stomp switch/bypass on it. I've thought about it myself.

Geoff [/QB]

I have the soldering iron, no experience but I bought it to use it :) Probably a good place to start. Guess what! I sold the lap steel idea to my girlfriend as a good way to play and exorcise my hands! So this will be a guilt free girlfriend approved purchase, PRICELESS!

heres what I'm looking at:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/4/9/230749.jpg

There doesn't look to be a lot of room to install the varitone, unless you get a very slim & upright knob on it - it usually comes with a chickenhead - takes up a lot of room.

Personally, I'd build it into a small box & plug the steel into it.

Should sound something completely different, though.

:thu:

Geoff

Archived