Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues

VuduChile_18

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ellwood:

Blues has many voices. Like I always say... everyone that playes rock and blues should have ON STAGE with them ALWAYS ...1 LP..1Strat..and 1-ES175 or 335 or 355,or L4/L5 that's it done.

Wouldn't you agree, Ellwod, that you need a Tele in there, too?

Born on the Bayou

Dreamer writes:

...[M]y choice of Clapton and of his "EC was here" album was not casual: just listen to the first song on the CD ("Have you ever loved a woman") and then listen to the same song recorded live in his double CD "Blues", where he is using his "Blackie" Stratocaster: the guitar player is the same, the song is the same, yet the result is completely different, due to the guitar used: to compensate for the (relative) lack of sustain of the Stratocaster, Clapton has to play more notes and use more legato, but he never reaches the climax you can hear on "EC was here" and he doesn't even venture in a solo, maybe because he does not feel inspired enough (just listen to the solo in "EC was here" and you can easily say how much more inspired he was)...

Inspired, or drunk? :D It's a valid question for that period in EC's life. - Though player and song are the same, it was a different performance at a different time and since blues is an improvisational music the inspiration on "EC Was Here" may or may not have been his 335. IIRC it was during that time that he was wanting and not having Patti Boyd, who was still married to George Harrison. "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" always seemed to me to have a certain piquancy whenever he played it during that period.

So my point is: the differences existing between two guitars like a 335 and a Stratocaster modify heavily your technical approach and also the way you play the same song...

Absotutely - or at least they can. Might it also be that EC likes the different approaches each guitar leads him to?

I'm not arguing, Dreamer, just discussing. I will say this: 1) My own blues style is more staccato and I don't rely on long sustained notes so a Strat works pretty well in that situation for me. 2) I noticed in the Cream reunion DVD that Clapton used technology to get a very thick, Gibson-y sound out of his Strat on some Cream tunes for which it was a definitive element. So it seems he likes both sounds at different times.

But much good blues has been played on Gibsons and if that's what you like, go for it! :wave:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Blues has many voices. Like I always say... everyone that playes rock and blues should have ON STAGE with them ALWAYS ...1 LP..1Strat..and 1-ES175 or 335 or 355,or L4/L5 that's it done.

"STELLA! STELLA!", shouts the rill blues-a-teer fum the old days, thanks! ;)

"The" way B 2 much like AuthienticitE 2 B a validity.

Originally posted by chad:

I'm not arguing, Dreamer, just discussing.

:thu: Thanks! That's should (always) be the essence of a Forum like this one! :)
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Yes LP, I mostly agree with ya. But it's a very close call. In most all cases I can leave either the Strat or the Tele home as long as I have one of them. The Alber Collins,with the ice pick setting is almost attainable on the Strat, but for most other blues players setups all of the above gets em very close.

Originally posted by VuduChile_18:

I was thinkin bout the three kings?

They any good?

I'm more familiar with B.B. and Albert than Freddie, but yes, I have the feeling that the better albums from these guys would be exactly what you're looking for.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I love Muddy Waters, especially the early stuff, and early John Lee Hooker was just his voice, his electric and his tapping foot. Any Lightning Hopkins compilation will put a smile on your face. While certainly not guitar gods by any means, the grooves that R.L. Burnside (RIP...passed away recently) and Junior Kimbrough (both on Fat Possum Records) got into were as deep as any blues I've ever heard. Both of them were Fred McDowwel diciples.

Brunside's acoustic "First Recordings" is still my favourite blues album of all time, but when he gets an electric in his hand, watch out! He made some fun albums with John Spencer Blues Explosion as well, those are pretty far out there. Check out "Too Bad Jim".

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

I was just listening to Louis Armstrong plays W. C. Handy, which is blues from another angle. I like it not just for the fine playing and feeling, but the humor in the lyrics and the performance.

Sometimes people forget that the blues isn't sad all the time, it's also fun and the lyrics are wonderful observations of human behavior sometimes!

There is just so much great Blues music by so many great players that it's difficult to point you in any one direction. In addition to all of the great musicians pointed out in the thread so far, I'd say you should look at the Alligator samplers. Link here. You can get a great variety of Chicago-style Blues music and decide who you like the most.

I'd include stuff from the Peter Green/Danny Kirwan era of Fleetwood Mac, there's some great playing from the two of them on those sides. Last year I finally found a great overview CD on budget from Sony UK which included the best sides like "The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)".

Rory Gallagher - particularly the earlier albums like Blueprint, Against The Grain and Top Priority.

Albert King's Born Under A Bad Sign.

Etta James. Not a guitarist, but a great blues performer, what a voice!

The John Mayall's Bluebreakers "Beano" album. Clapton is fantastic, and you can hear a new sound being pioneered.

NRBQ is pretty eclectic as heck, but for a great bluesier side of them find the At Yankee Stadium CD.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds' T-Bird Rhythm. I'd say that this album is one of Jimmie Vaughn's best moments - Nick Lowe production, nice monkey nerve groove, perfect for a party.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Originally posted by dreibel:

The Fabulous Thunderbirds' T-Bird Rhythm. I'd say that this album is one of Jimmie Vaughn's best moments - Nick Lowe production, nice monkey nerve groove, perfect for a party....

Ooh! Ooh! Reif! Check it out!

Ellwood's atually participating in this thread so we may finally get to see some of those fireworks!! :thu:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I am looking forward to getting a double-neck electric mandolin this year with both 8-string and 5-string necks.

Blues sounds great on 8-string mando. The 5-string (tuned C G D A E, combined ranges of viola and violin) sounds like a guitar tone wise, but is in a higher range, so it cuts through well when playing with guitarists. And the tuning lends itself to violinistic ideas and other things a guitarist might not think of! Plus the e-bow and the sitar simulator pedal..

In other words, I love traditional blues, but to never try anything new seems to me to be ENTOMBING it rather than honoring it.. "mummy, how I love you, how I love you, my dear old mummy.." with apologies to Al Jolson.

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Originally posted by dreibel:

The Fabulous Thunderbirds' T-Bird Rhythm. I'd say that this album is one of Jimmie Vaughn's best moments - Nick Lowe production, nice monkey nerve groove, perfect for a party....

Ooh! Ooh! Reif! Check it out!

Ellwood's atually participating in this thread so we may finally get to see some of those fireworks!! :thu:

who sez I'm trying to start a fight? :)

I have always liked this album, and I think it's a pretty good one. It probably won't win anything for guitar hero acrobatics, but it's great ensemble playing. And what songs: ""Neighbor" Tend To Your Business", "The Monkey", "How Do You Spell Love? (M.O.N.E.Y.)", a cover of "Diddy Wah Diddy", "Gonna Get Some/Just Got Some" and "You're Humbuggin' Me"......

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Originally posted by Bluesape:

When did I become the official Elwood winder upper? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing14.gifhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/265.gif

It may be more of an honorary title than 'official'...

Yesterday I was listening to Phillip Walker's CD "I Got A Sweet Tooth". If you're a blues lover and haven't heard this guy you need to. He's the shiznit.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Bluesape:

When did I become the official Elwood winder upper?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon fellas, leave the big E alone. So what if he doesn't like Jimmie Vaughan (even though I do)? Everybody is entitled to his or her dislikes. For instance, lots of people absolutely love Freddie Mercury, but something about his vocals has always been like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Different strokes.

Archived