Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's play...Name that noise interference!

RockNRoll

Hello all,

Actually, I don't even know if it's possible to pinpoint a potential source of noise interference just by how it sounds...but just in case this one's a typical or unique one, let me attempt to describe it.....

With a guitar plugged direct into studio rig via amp simulator...the noise I'm getting is not a sustained hum or an overly noisy buzz (there is some of that, but not too much of a big deal) but a regular, intermittent faint high pitched noise that resembles noises similar to the tones we hear when receiving a fax (its not in your face, but somewhat noticeable)...It happens regularly and I had the gtr pick ups (with hot invader seymour duncan pickup) checked for grounding issues, and it seemed to check out fine...However, when using another guitar (with PAF pickups), that particular noise did not seem to be much of a problem...

Could this just be a case of accepting and dealing with the inevitable consequences of having a 'hotter' bridge pick up? Or is there a solution to this issue to help alleviate that faint intermittent high pitched noise? (When that noise flares up, it all goes to tape during the recording session, although it's not totally in your face...it is somewhat noticeable and it would be nice to get 'cleaner' takes in the future if this issue can be resolved.)

Thanks for playing and for your advice!! Take care...and now a word from our sponsors...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm located in a very busy shopping area...I was wondering why I am only getting those noises on the guitar with the hotter pick up and not the one with the PAF...both guitars should be properly grounded...could it just be the nature of the beast (the hotter pick up) in such a busy district that will cause it to inevitably prone to picking up such noises? Thanks.

It sounds like Packet Radio, computer generated high speed telecommunications. Amauter Radio Operators use it all the time, mostly in the 2mm FM band. Check you neighborhood for any large horizontal antennas, these are very noticable usually on very high towers. These signal are also present in the 10,15,20,40 and 80 meter Amatuer Radio band (HAM) in these frequencies the power is much higher at about 1,000 watts.

Got your cellphone nearby? I get a similar type of noise from my cellphone that bleeds into my setup. The cellular company apparently makes regular connections to the phone because I hear it at the same time each hour.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Time to wrap your studio in tin foil! :freak:

Interesting, I had no idea HAM radio was used for data packets. Interesting.

Yep sure are Neil, I run 2meter and 20 meter world wide packet,along with Amtor,Navtor and FSK ultra high speed teletype. We also run fast and slow scan tv world wide and locally. It's allot of fun! :thu:

Originally posted by Steevo:

Got your cellphone nearby? I get a similar type of noise from my cellphone that bleeds into my setup. The cellular company apparently makes regular connections to the phone because I hear it at the same time each hour.

I think it's probably the other way around. The phone sends some sort of "I'm alive" signal to the transmitter just to show it's still in that particular zone and still turned on. Well, that's what happens with GSM anyway.

Originally posted by Steevo:

Got your cellphone nearby?

Everytime I have my cellphone anywhere near my amp I get a weird "beeping-like" noise. It usually comes when my phone loses service and tries to reconnect. I have my practice amp in my basement so I lose service alot down there. I also get the noise when someone is trying to call me. Whenever I am playing and start to hear the noise I go and grab my phone, knowing that someones about to call.

Archived