Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Straight into the amp

Darcy H

I believe Buddy Guy plays straight into his Bassman (apart from his Cybertwin trials and his new amp project), and I'm not sure what Eric Clapton uses in front of his twin (on his Crossroads DVD), but I'm curious if there's many guitarists that play straight into their amp, sans any effects/distortion/OD pedals?? I figured you guys would know better than anybody.

I think some of the old blues guys did, Muddy, John Lee Hooker, etc....but I can't say for sure.

Just wondering........

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do mostly when I'm playing around the house or studio. I use my pedal board when I play out, and mostly just hit the overdrive for leads. But these days I'm not in a band, I'm just a fill-in guy or guest.

As a rhythm guitarist/singer (which is what I usally am when I am in a band), I find that it helps to give a little more dimension to the sound of various songs to have the background not always be just My guitar through MY amp, so I tend to use other combinations of effects to broaden the sonic palette.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks guys, but I was wondering about famous guitarists...not that you guys aren't the greatest! :)

I was just wondering which guitarists, if any, are known for plugging straight into their amps?

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Well most of the old blues guys from T-Bone Walker down the line just plugged and played. Albert Collins did the same with a 100' cord. A lot of country players too.

Seems like most rock/metal guys use something in between.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Heck, alot of guys don't even go straight into their rack! I see alot of diagrams where they have a pedal or two inline and then go into their rack of more effects and then go into an amp and then some more effects and then maybe a power amp and speakers.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

i freakin' love the SOUND of playin right into my amp-thats how i started many years ago and i wish i could still :(

what has really got me thinking about doin it somehow again is the wonderful sounds Eric got on that Cream Reunion dvd ;)

just stunning!

so...back to the drawing boards to try and figure out how to do it again :)

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by stanner:

i freakin' love the SOUND of playin right into my amp-thats how i started many years ago and i wish i could still :(

what has really got me thinking about doin it somehow again is the wonderful sounds Eric got on that Cream Reunion dvd ;)

just stunning!

so...back to the drawing boards to try and figure out how to do it again :)

s :cool:

Right! but we have to have the correct amp if we are going to hit the amp input barefoot! I rebuilt that 1962 Fender Pro Amp and only use the Klon Centuar for clean boost. It is a great natural SRV/Clapton kinda old Fender sound and that's what you are talking about how Eric sounded in the particular concert!

The basic thing is whether they get the sound they want from the amp w/out needing any effects, etc.

Some have concerns about detrimental tone quality imparted to the signal by intervening gear...but I don't think that's such a concern in recent years.

I agree with most of the respondents above concerning famous musicians and their setups. Some of the traditional blues guitarist, did play straight into the amp with nothing more than the amps reverb but usually will a lot of volume to provide some saturated tube overdrive. I know from an old Albert Collins instructional video, he plugged his telecaster straight into a Fender Quadverb, turned the amp volume and treble all the way up and the amp bass all the way down. Now you know why he got the nickname the Ice Man.

As far as Clayton goes, I have seen him on some videos with a limited number of pedals (overdrive, flanger, etc.). Also remember that he now plays his Fender Clapton Signature model Strat which has a quasi active pickup circuitry he can engage, which provides some mid range boost - not entirely clean.

I forget the name of the guitarist that performed with Dave Mathews on the central park DVD... Guy plugged his LP straight into a Gibson GA30rvs, I really loved his tone... Wish I knew his name, he's local to NYC and a big time player.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by comacoda:

I forget the name of the guitarist that performed with Dave Mathews on the central park DVD... Guy plugged his LP straight into a Gibson GA30rvs, I really loved his tone... Wish I knew his name, he's local to NYC and a big time player.

This brings up 2 points:

[1]Lots of old blues cats only used the amp because up til the 1960s there weren't any effects for them to even try.

I've always like Hendrix's comment on early blues development that, "If there'd been electricity back in 'slave days', things would've sounded a lot different."

[2](Re: the above quote from Comacoda) Often just looking at a set up from the audience doesn't reveal what's really happening. Effects loops & offstage rigs may not be apparent.

[2](Re: the above quote from Comacoda) Often just looking at a set up srom the audience doesn't reveal what's really happening. Effects loops & offstage rigs may not be apparent. [/QB]

You are definitely right on that point. The only thing you can be sure about is that you can never be sure.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Archived