Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to plug my guitar into a mac and have a great sound

alty

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zeronyne:

acoustic or electric?

Looking at the JamLab, I hope he just wants electric.

The audio quality for JamLab-- 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz -- doesn't sound like it's any better of a spec than using the built-in sound port (depending on your Mac). I assume the latency may be improved, though, through the headphones jack.

The Fast Track USB lists 24-bit/48kHz. Your extra money goes towards an inexpensive mic pre (read: probably not as good as an expensive mic pre). Not a factor anyway if you're just plugging in direct. But then, why pay the extra money for something you're not going to use?

FireWire Solo specs in at 4x4 24-bit/96kHz. It's a lot more than either of the preceding two. You're paying for a lot of other stuff (that you don't need to just plug in direct) just to get double the sampling rate. And it still doesn't have enough inputs to really track drums. (You could still use a mixing board and record a stereo track, but that's not quite the same.)

Some pro studios swear by sampling at the highest rate possible and then downsampling later on.

Now, define "great sound". If you just want "CD quality" (whatever that means), probably any of the interfaces mentioned (or even the sound in port) will suffice. You should be able to make demo recordings that will make you wonder why you ever used a boombox cassette recorder before.

If you want pro studio quality you're probably going to be looking for something quite a bit more expensive.

Will 48kHz sampling be sufficient for producing a CD master? That's up to you to decide. Check out the project studio forum here, and especially the Phil O'Keefe archives, and do your own research and see what you think.

For what purpose are you recording? If you just want to bang out basic tracks for demo purposes that sound clear, you could always try Garageband... It's pretty no-frills but can get the job done in a pinch. Just a thought...
Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

Thanks for your reply. I already pluged my guitar in the mic line and it sounds like my computer will die( speakers!!!). I did a couple of songs with garage band, it's funny but the guitar sound is crapy!!! What can I do.

Thanks for your reply. I already pluged my guitar in the mic line and it sounds like my computer will die( speakers!!!). I did a couple of songs with garage band, it's funny but the guitar sound is crapy!!! What can I do.

Sounds like you've got too much signal going into the computer - Can you pull back the volume on your guitar? Or turn down the gain on the input via Garageband?

Youmight look at the Tascam US-128 USB device or the Inspiron (or whatever it is called... it shows up in the banner ads on the top oif this page...)firewire box. Both offer lite versions of a popular sequencing/multitrack recording software and accept guitar inputs. The Tascam (which I can speak more about since I used to own one...) even has a guitar tuner built in.

You'd have to check the software for Mac-compatability. I knowthat the stuff is all PC compatable, but I don't know about Mac.

Another option would be to put a small mixer in front of your existing sound card. But then you still need software. (Like, Garageband or something.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Keep in mind that this is purely a hobbyist-level of quality and would not consider making a real demo this way.
'Tis true... I have a beat up POD that I use, I bought it on Ebay for a song and it stays plugged into my computer. It's a quick and dirty set up and sounds it compared to real studio recordings... It's really just to get ideas down in a way I can share 'em...

3rd time here...

Here is a link to the APPLE web site, MAC 101 seciton that discusses how to record into your MAC...

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/connect/6/

Basically it states that you can plug your guitar directly into the Audio IN port. To quote Apple...

"Once you've got an adapter, just connect the 1/8-inch mini plug end to your computer's audio input port and the other end to your instrument or mic. Then open System Preferences (from the Apple menu, choose System Preferences), click Sound, click the Input tab, and make sure that the audio Line In is the selected input device.

"

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Go straight from the guitar into the mic input when using Garage Band. Do not go through your amp. There are a lot of controls in Garage Band to give you all kinds of sounds. There are also controls for the gain of each channel. If you go to those sites that have Garage Band mp3 downloads you'll see that you can do some nice things with it.

http://www.garageband.com/

The next step up would be Logic Express.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived