Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker magnet problems...?

Museeip

I getting ready to move across country and I'm trying to fit as much stuff in a VW GTI that I can, so space is a premium. When I tried to see if my Line6 FBV shortboard would fit in the back of my Twin the metal FBV case stuck tight to the speaker magnets. Fits great, but would there be any damage to the speakers or FBV leaving them stuck together like that for the 2 day trip? :confused:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhmm... just offhand, I'd say that if you left it like that for too long, the speaker magnet would become demagnetized... somewhat.

But I can't see just a couple of days making much difference. Sometimes I've found small screwdrivers or bolts attached to a speaker magnet and I've never noticed any diff in the sound.

Anybody have a more scientific (or experienced) answer?

And I don't know about the FBV. If it has an internal memory, it's possible that the magnet would screw it up.

Did the instruction manual come with one of those little drawings of the FBV crying because a big bad magnet is hurting it?

The only type of magnet that might be affected would be an alnico magnet. Ceramic magnets are not prone to degaussing and have a fairly long lifespan (measured in centuries) whereas alnico magnets' lifespan is measured in decades.

The magnetic field can be affected by having two magnets with differing polarities stuck to the same side of a single object. But that will only last as long as the object is stuck to the magnets.

The only thing you really have to worry about with ceramic magnets (as with any magnet) is that they don't get too hot. Getting them _very_ hot can and will degauss them.

Born on the Bayou

Stuffing things into the backs of Twin Reverbs is a time-honored tradition.

I don't think you have to worry about it; but you might want to wrap a towel or something around the gizmo you're sticking in there to keep it from getting dented or scratched when you drive over a bump.

Also make sure that nothing can get to the speaker cones and tear holes in them.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Museeip:

Thanks for the input guys. No one can see a problem with the LED screen on the board?

Not with an LED screen, no. You might run into problems with an LCD screen, though. You'd definitely have problems with a CRT if it was on.

Recently I put on my desk, about two feet from my monitor, one of the G12T-75s from a cabinet I was building. I didn't notice anything when I put it down. But a few minutes later when I came back the colors on the CRT (Sony 25 inch) had gone all weird. When I moved the speaker away, the screen went back to normal. Some of these speakers have very strong magnetic fields. Especially with the 37 oz magnets like the ones in the G12T-75. This one was easily enough to deflect the electrons from two feet away.

Born on the Bayou

Archived