Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bix Beiderbecke's In A Mist

Dave Horne

I've had this piece in the back of my mind for some time and miraculously located the sheet music in my house in seconds shortly ago. I performed this in concert about 25 years ago and didn't think it was all that difficult back then.

Bix Beiderbecke was a well known jazz cornet player who also played piano and died in 1931 (I just learned from Wiki). At any rate, since this piece is probably now in Public Domain (copyrighted 1928), I'm sure there are free copies on the internet. (It's four pages in length and I could copy it if anyone is interested, but it would be a very large file as a scanned document.)

At any rate, just passing this on. An oldie but goodie.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by marino:

Wonderful tune. I seem to remember that hand placement (deciding which hand plays what) requires some thought.

The editor tries to be helpful by indicating LH or RH but this time around I'm ignoring the advice. I also played a big band arrangement of this piece but it was so long ago I don't have any worthwhile thoughts.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I don't have any worthwhile thoughts.
;)
Ah yes, quoting out of context. :cool:

I also played a big band arrangement of this piece but it was so long ago I don't have any worthwhile thoughts.

Ed, if you're interested, I can send you the piano music (no tabs, sorry) of In A Mist ... or are you from the illiterate and proud of it school. :D

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

I don't have any worthwhile thoughts.
;)
Ah yes, quoting out of context. :cool:

I also played a big band arrangement of this piece but it was so long ago I don't have any worthwhile thoughts.

Ed, if you're interested, I can send you the piano music (no tabs, sorry) of In A Mist ... or are you from the illiterate and proud of it school. :D

Hohohhoho :D

I have a great version of In a Mist by Freddie Hubbard from around 1972 I think... theres a great interview with him from 1973 here..

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/Freddie%20Hubbard_1.htm

he mentions In a Mist and Bix in particular...

Hope you enjoy the article... Freddie is among my favourite jazz artists ever... even his CTI output was excellent...

yea, i think Freddie did it on Sky Dive. (cti)

...i had to come back and add how much i like that sky dive record. i still play povo and the title cut. jarrett's playing on it is wonderful, as usual.

Orangefunk, in the article you gave a link to, a Jabbo Smith is mentioned. I never heard of Jabbo Smith until about 10 years ago or so when I met some friends of my wife. This couple has two sons and one was named after Jabbo Smith. The mother worked many years ago behind the scenes in a jazz event here in Holland and met JS. As a result they named their son after him and have a signed recording as well.

Archived