Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Commutes from Hell

There are people who commute as far as Riverside into the Westside of LA, about 80 miles each way in heavy traffic. It's a two hour EACH WAY drive. Others live in Palmdale which is also 2 hrs each way. I think the Victor Valley commuters take the cake - 100 miles each way in heavy traffic. All because people can afford houses out in the burbs. How does your city stack up?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here in K.C. I live a half hour away from work. I actually could be closer if I wanted, but it's a long story as to why I settled here...and not moving closer involves not wanting to pull kids out of schools where they've made friends.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I had to commute over 3 hours once while filming "Where the Heart Is". :mad: WC/Ashley ------------------------ "The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only. Any or all celebrity voices were impersonated and are not meant to imply consent of said celebrity or celebrities or their endorsements of any of the products affiliated with either musicplayer.com or the postee and are subject to all taxes and license fees in the appropriate state thereof."

I'm retired! I commute to the breakfast table in about two minutes, switch on the tube, and watch all the UN-retired crawling in traffic jams to get to work. Sometimes, when I figure they're at the office or plant by a certain time, I'll go back to BED! My poor wife, however, still has a year to go. She drives 23 minutes to her plant. After the Buick City recall, she was driving from Detroit to Flint, MI. Took her an hour and a half. Glad those days are gone! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

15 minutes each way. Left NYC 7 years ago. I like it here. :love:

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

It took my wife 2 hours and 10 minutes to drive 13 miles (all freeway) down the 5 when we lived in Los Feliz. All because it rained in LA. Thanks be to God that we don't live there anymore :) Frank *still working on a disclaimer* *Happy Fangsgiving* *hooptee dooptee, tra la la...* *may the turkey you eat be your spouse* "triptophane my ass, go rake up the f****** leaves" have fun, I'm off por cinco dias, whoo hooo

33 miles and usually 40 to 45 minutes to work. I leave for work at 05:45. Home is about the same if I leave by 3:45. If I'm 10 minutes later it costs me another 15 minutes on the drive. Twice in the last two weeks there have been head on fatalilies & the drive went to 2 hours with the detours & other hangups. I feel for the families of those killed & that means the drive time ain't worth beans in the overall context of life but it still sucks. If I have to go to Orange County and head home from there, it's never less than 1 & 1/2 hours, more than likely 2 hours. I drive to Carson/LA/Beverly Hills regularly. From San Diego County I'm lucky to get there in 2 1/2 hours. From my home town it's usually closer to 3 hours. All predicated on fairly busy times. If I can get an off time, the time drops to damned near half. For instance, to my Oncologist at Cedars Sinai from home I count on 3+ hours to get there. I leave about 05:00 to get there for a 09:00 appointment & might be 30 minutes early. If I leave there by 11:00 I'm home by 1:30. Go figure. Same 100 miles.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Before my last move I had a 65 [i]seconds[/i] walk to the office, now it is a 15 minute walk or 3 minutes by car. From the office to our studio, a distance I travel several times each week, it is 30 minutes by feet or 6 by car. So why do we not have the office by the studio? It is good for business to have the office in the center of town, and rents for studio space is much much lower in the outskirts (and parking is free out there, it is often so quiet there that we sometimes record with open windows). /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I switched to a lower-paying job three years ago just to avoid a one-hour fifteen minute commute each way. Thiokol was WAAAY out in the boonies for a reason, when something accidently blows up you want to be far away from population centers. Driving that far in a snowstorm was no fun. Now it takes me 10 minutes each way, and I'm STILL grinning about it!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I've always been very lucky in this area. I live in a small intercity suburb called Ballard right in the northern part of Seattle. I only had one commute to the eastside that was long and that was only for a short time. My job now takes me 8 min to get to and this has not been far from the average for the last ten years or so! :D Life is good! - DJDM

The last two or three years before I moved out of Los Angeles (three years ago now), I lived in the San Fernando Valley, in Northridge right by CSUN. I worked in Santa Monica. From being parked in my garage to being parked in my spot at work was 17.5 miles. This routinely took 50 minutes but often stretched to over an hour. A couple of times it took over 2 hours. For those that don't know the area, the SFV is seperated from Santa Monica by the Santa Monica mountains. And there is one and only one way through the mountains around there: The Sepulveda Pass. That's where the 405 freeway goes through and not only all the traffic to and from the SFV to the west side (West L.A., Santa Monica, etc.) but all the masochists that live in Palmdale and Ventura as well. You can also take Pacific Coast Highway, but that was way out of the way for me, not to mention having to negotiate twisty 2 lane canyon roads to get through the mountains [i]to[/i] PCH which would be FUBAR most of the time too. What a clusterfuck. Before that I lived [i]in[/i] Santa Monica. I would [i]bicycle[/i] or [i]walk[/i] to work. That was sweet but you can't buy a pot to piss in for less than 3 or 4 hundred grand in that area (and that's gonna just be an 800 sq. ft. bungalow with no off street parking). Fuck [i]that[/i] noise!
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by Sir Real: [b]There are people who commute as far as Riverside into the Westside of LA, about 80 miles each way in heavy traffic. It's a two hour EACH WAY drive. [/b][/quote]Sorry about the distance, but if you average 40 mph, you're doing great. Try DC traffic, at best a 15 mph average at rush hour. OUCH!

My commute varies with how far away my first job is from my home. It's usually less than ten minutes, but can reach twenty on a day when there's little morning work in my part of town. I occasionaly call our dispatch to get a job closer to home if there is no real reason for the longer drive. The software sometimes forgets where I'm supposed to start. When I first started working in Topeka, I lived 35 miles away in the next county. It was five miles of bad gravel to I-70, and my commute took three quarters of an hour on average. I ended up driving into the sunrise in the AM and often into the sunset after working overtime. I quickly tired of that.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I know i am always bragging about how great it is to not live in the city, but here i go again... 10 mins max, almost anywhere i work, play or eat. Damn i'm happy bout that. 5 years ago i was driving 1 hour each way, to and from each day. What a waste of life, add it up, it's silly. For me it was 10 hours week 40 hours month( a full weeks pay) 480 hours year That much time in a year could move you closer to many achivements if applied even half ass....... -ability to play a new instrument each year -time to learn a whole new trade or hobby -spend valuble time with friends or sig other -get in shape - build a boat - build a house - Read several books etc etc While on the topic of wasting time, lets talk about T.V!... My last room mate watched close to 70 hours of T.V a week. That is close to 2 full careers wasted on fucking surviver! Fuck that makes me mad. I wish i had all the time other people wasted. My roommate before that watched sports ALL weekend, spent his entire time off from work watching tv. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] That was sweet but you can't buy a pot to piss in for less than 3 or 4 hundred grand in that area (and that's gonna just be an 800 sq. ft. bungalow with no off street parking). noise![/b][/quote]You found a bungalow in SM for under 400 grand? LIAR!! My sister has a 600 sf bungalow in SM worth about $475k. I just bought (and I scored) a 1400 sf townhouse in Culver City for 299k with a two car garage and studio. Screw this commute bullcrap. I'm back on the Westside by January 1.

[quote]Originally posted by surfmonkey: [b]You know what?...F'all you people and your 10 minute commutes. I gotta drive out to Palm Springs tonight (145m). Holiday traffic = Holiday Cheer. :) :( :mad: [/b][/quote]DOOD! You should have gone south on the 15 or 215 to either the 74 east or the 79 south & gone up over the hill. The Northbound 15 & 215 were jammed before 4:00 & a lot of that went to the 60 & the 10 east. It'll be just as bad getting back. You might consider going over the hill on the way back.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by Sir Real: [b]Thanksgiving Eve on the 405 northbound - tales of horror. I talked to a lady who left Long Beach at 1:30 and arrived home in Santa Clarita at 4:45. A little math please.......that's 3 1/4 hours to go 60 miles. Happy Holidays?[/b][/quote]That makes me feel a little better. I'm outta here. Happy Turkey Day everybody!
I have no homepage.

Archived