Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mr. Andy Gonzalez...Baya!!!

Musical Messenger

The name conjurs up emotions enveloped in sheer rawness, delivered to the very core of our being ever so gently wrapped in velvets of every color, all the while caressing our senses to our very nucleus, to our center, Mother Africa herself, The Bass of our Race, the Man, the Name, Mr. Andy Gonzalez

To make mention of the Legends that have asked this Man to partake and create with them as their Anchor, Their foundation, their Bass would take us back to when Andy was 16, 17 if you choose to believe Senor Ray Barretos version. These mentions would include The Big 3..Maestro Machito, El Caballero, Senor Tito Rodriguez, , El Rey, Tito Puente. 2 the cat who is the totality of cool, One of the many Leading lights, Fort Apache Band Leader, Mr. Jerry Gonzalez, Andys Brother. One need only to absorb Andys sound to ascertain the possessions of musical wealth this Man has amassed over his 39 years of forming musical history with the elite, the influential scholars of Latin sounds in its many motifs, to know that you are in the presence of history. Gracias Maestro, Gracias Mr. G..

Words & Thoughts

Kika

Experience Gonzalez @

Dance New York Dance.com

10-3-05

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I've played rock bass for over 35 years I still have a place in my heart for the music of my youth. I'm sure I've heard Mr. Gonzalez's work many, many times on my mother's turntable or in her friend's Latin club in Hoboken, NJ in days gone by. He is as deserving of our recognition as Ron Carter, Victor, Jaco, Jeff and many others in the jazz field.

A good Latino never forgets his roots, especially the music that influences him.

Bienvenido al Bajo Abajo el Foro, Mensajero Musical! :wave:

Still reeks of well-versed spam but seemingly legitimate well-versed spam. I don't know this Andy Gonzalez fellow but it seems I have some listening to do. This, as well as many other advertisements, has caught me hook, line and sinker. Looks like I'm off to Borders tomorrow to spend more money I should be saving.

About 14-15 years ago I went to see him play with Fort Apache Band on a club on Broadway. Killer band he led with his brother Jerry. After show I started telling him how much I enjoyed his playing and he invited me to audit one of his latin rhythm section classes at the New School. Great class as he showed everyone how to play different latin grooves over standards. GREAT PLAYER and down to earth guy who shared a lot of knowledge.

Archived