Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

About Finishes-Another Semi Poll

wraub

Greetings to all. Once again I turn to you, in a bid to aid the attempted luthiery the Bastid and I are perpetrating.

The topic: Finishes.

For your consideration, in no particular order-

1)How much of a role does the finish of a bass play in your decision to buy?

2) Do you prefer a "wood" finish or a "paint" finish?

a-If your answer is wood, is lacquer, poly, oil/wax or another your preference? Flat or glossy?

b-If your answer is paint, is your preference for solid colors, bursts, or "other" (snakeskin, flames, camo, sand-through, or those ESP graphic things)? How about flat or glossy? Do you have a favorite color, (Bob G. and orange, Jeremy C. and blue, I think) or get what you get?

3) How much of your opinion is purely based on appearances, or do you prefer the particular sound of one type of finish over another?

4) Regardless of preference, do you tend to treat your bass(es) with kid gloves, or more like a tool that will get used, and therefore possibly abused?

5)Do you dislike the sort of wear that most well used instruments seem to acquire (think Jaco), or do you rather wear that "damage" with pride?

a-If you answered with a preference for the worn look, would you buy a new instrument that had been artificially "aged" (Fender and Gibson both do this), or would you consider that "cheating"?

Thanks in advance to all who read and answer. I appreciate your time and attention, and all responses go towards making a better bass, so what could be bad? :)

Thanks again, and

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot, but it does play a part.

a-If your answer is wood, is lacquer, poly, oil/wax or another your preference? Flat or glossy?

b-If your answer is paint, is your preference for solid colors, bursts, or "other" (snakeskin, flames, camo, sand-through, or those ESP graphic things)? How about flat or glossy? Do you have a favorite color, (Bob G. and orange, Jeremy C. and blue, I think) or get what you get?

I prefer a paint finish. Sunburst. Blue. Actually the first two blue instruments were because that's the color that the particular instrument I wanted was. I wouldn't have picked the color if I hadn't heard the bass first. Then it became my thing and I now have three blue basses and one blue guitar.

And if the right bass happened to be a clear finish over wood, then I guess I'd have to change my mind.

3) How much of your opinion is purely based on appearances, or do you prefer the particular sound of one type of finish over another?

Never liked the sound or the weight of the late 70's Fenders with the really thick finishes.

4) Regardless of preference, do you tend to treat your bass(es) with kid gloves, or more like a tool that will get used, and therefore possibly abused?

It's a tool, I try to take care of it, but sh..t happens.

5)Do you dislike the sort of wear that most well used instruments seem to acquire (think Jaco), or do you rather wear that "damage" with pride?

a-If you answered with a preference for the worn look, would you buy a new instrument that had been artificially "aged" (Fender and Gibson both do this), or would you consider that "cheating"?

I view the wear with pride. I've worn through the finish in spots on my PRS five string.

But the only way I would buy an artificially aged bass would be for a replacement of my old beat-up Fender....so I could take it on the road and leave the original at home...and still look like I was playing my old bass.....nah...that's too phoney, maybe not.

Now here's a bass that has been played:

http://www.victorwooten.com/pics/big_1.jpg

Originally posted by wraub:

Greetings to all. Once again I turn to you, in a bid to aid the attempted luthiery the Bastid and I are perpetrating.

The topic: Finishes.

Word. I'll participate with pleasure. I have enjoyed your previous semi-polls a great deal. :)

It plays a significant role. Dislike of a finish will keep me from buying an instrument, but I don't have to totally love the finish to be happy with the bass.

I like both. It depends on the bass -- particularly the body wood. If the wood's plain, I'd be happier if it were covered w/ a nice colored paint.

Poly or lacquer. Flat or semi-glossy. I don't like "reflects-like-a-mirror" glossy. I also don't really like an extremely figured ("coffee table") wood -- spalted, burled, etc. are not really for me. However, a nicely grained ash (e.g. many F basses or the olive ash Wal basses sometimes have for tops) or a flamed or quilted maple or a mildly patterned dark walnut...mmmmm. :thu:

I like a nice burst. My Carvin has a very nice tobacco burst. I think JeremyC's Lull has a fantastic blueburst. Spector does a black cherry burst that I like.

I like solid colors, too. I like a nice black bass. I think a candy apple red can really be kick-ass too (like the red on the '62 Jazz my friend brought to Jimmy's shop back in Dec.). However, for a solid color, I probably prefer black.

I'm not into graphics and such. However, I have a close friend who I respect greatly as an artist. I would consider having him paint a bass for me one day.

My opinion is based almost entirely on appearance. Secondarily, on how the finish feels under my fingers.

I treat my basses very kindly, but they are tools to be used. Therefore, the little dings, chips, etc. on my basses are part of life and add character, personalizing my instrument. However, it is probably part of the reason I'm not really an oil/wax guy. I want something else between the wood and the outside world.

I don't mind an instrument looking worn or used. I think about it more as "character" rather than a sign of "pride." However, I'm not fond of totally beaten up instruments. If my bass had acquired a great deal of "character" over time, I would certainly consider refinishing it -- even if I didn't decide to actually follow thru. I would not buy an "artificially" aged instrument. Cheating? No, it's not cheating, but I like a new bass to look like a new bass.

Thanks in advance to all who read and answer. I appreciate your time and attention, and all responses go towards making a better bass, so what could be bad? :)

No sweat, man. Answering these things is fun, and it keeps me thinking about the future Seismic Sweet Willie Sugar Bass #001! :D:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

A) For me, the finish is a big factor. I am pretty particular about that.

B)My personal preference is a high gloss clearcoat over a brightly dyed quilted maple. that way the grain stands out nicely, and you still have some color.

Favorite color: sapphire blue. I do appreciate a nicely grained natural finish, though, and have seen a few custom paint schemes that I really liked... so I think it's more of a case-by-case thing.

C)While appearance is a factor, there are enough basses around that if were looking for a particular style/color/finish I am sure I could find it with whatever wood or combination of woods I wanted...

I think the wood has way more influence on sound than the paint, although I'm sure that to the discerning ear a piece of wood with no paint would sound different than the same piece with several heavy coats of paint... I've never had the opportunity to play a solid colored bass and a natural bass of the same type next to each other... so don't quote me on this...

I have also noticed that the wood used (with a few makers anyways) for bodies that are destined for the paint booth is generally not the same quality as the stuff used on natural or clear finished pieces.

And then there's the laminated top factor....

4)My bass is a working instrument, so I know it will get used, but not necessarily abused. It is my policy to take care of ALL of my tools.

But the chance always exists that something might happen to it... if it does, then I'll just have to deal with it.

5)I think the idea of a pre-worn instrument is ludicrous. My guitars and basses show signs of wear, in the places a guitar should, I.E. the neck, the back, the fingerboard, a few nicks or scratches here and there...

There is something about the feel of a well-worn neck and fingerboard, though, but I would never pay for a NEW instrument made to 'emulate' that.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

1)How much of a role does the finish of a bass play in your decision to buy? [

a-If your answer is wood, is lacquer, poly, oil/wax or another your preference? Flat or

glossy?

I like a beeswax finish a lot...it's very easy to sand and re-wax. I also like the feel.

b-If your answer is paint, is your preference for solid colors, bursts, or "other"

If I'm getting a "colorful" bass, I'd like those with green or red stains so you can see the grain...with poly finishes

Not much, really. Other factors...feel, sound override the appearance.

No kid gloves here. I use the bass, I do wipe it down...keep it in the case, wash my hands before I use it. However, I don't sweat dings, or dents. Scratches can be sanded out.

It was a ding and a dent which helped me positively identify my stolen Warwick to the cops, since I didn't (at that time) have the serial number.)

I like genuine wear. I absolutely do not like artificially aged anything...not even blue jeans.

Actually, I think a really classy bass would have a nice French polish like a fine violin...reddish brown with black stained grain and hand rubbed lacquer.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Alot.

Wood

Poly-is by far the most durable.

Looks. I love wood.Souund differances only apply to acoustic guitars only.

Tool used with kid gloves.I think of guitars as art.

I never met a worn soul I didn't like.

I don't consider one over the other. I sort of look for a good looking bass and react. I like something unique though. I don't like to feel like it's just something that everybody has.

2) Do you prefer a "wood" finish or a "paint" finish? Both

a- If the wood has some really intersting charecter to the grain then it doesn't really matter

b- I'm not really a fan of the bursts. I made my bass and painted on flat with a sparky silver paint. It really all depends on weather or not it grabs be I guess. Again with the uniqueness theme here.

It's all appearances. I don't think the sound matters

Used and abused!!

I don't like the wear I guess, but it's something we live with. Guitars aren' cheap!! Not the good ones.

NO, even if I liked it!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

1. normally not a preconceived idea but yeah if the finish sucked I'd be looking elsewhere...

2. I like both, mostly when they're done good.

2a (Check out the pic below - this a bass I

refinished with a wipe-on poly, it came out

great for my 1st clear finish)

2b Black is cool but shows way too many

smudges.

3. Hmm... depending on each individ. bass, no ?¿?

4. Oh they all get abused at some time or another

just a tool & a means to an end right !

5. I think the aged beat up "New look" is OK if

you're on the road and want to capture that

look if you don't mind paying $$$ for it.

Here's a Pic of the Bass I re-did last year

http://www.boomspeed.com/tarsia/epibass2.jpg

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

1) Well, if it looks beautiful, then it will catch my eye more quickly; but, I'd try out instruments based primarily on their design and features, looking for what I'll expect will suit me. If two instruments are identical in playability and tonal quality, then the one that I most like the appearance of will be my pick. But, if one of two or more is undeniably better in those two respects, then that would be my choice, regardless of the color, wear, etc.

2) I do prefer a nice translucent stain and nitrocellulose-lacquer finish, like a sunburst (many different 'burst color-combos look sweet!) or amber, blue, red, or green on figured or nicely grained wood. However, a few "vintage" flavors of solid, opaque nitrocellulose-lacquer really grab me, too, like candy-apple red over a gold base-coat, metallic "Sherwood Green", "Ocean Turquoise", "Seafoam"- and "Surf"-green, etc.

3) At least in theory, I would prefer a well-executed, highly-buffed nitro-lacquer finish with as few total coats as possible, to let that axe breathe and ring and speak love to us!

I really like the feel of a well executed nitro-lacquer finish, too. So smooth and glassy... although, on necks of maple, koa, and other woods that can get away with it, I especially love and prefer a tung-oil and Butcher's Wax "finish" on "bare" wood. Also, this type of tung-oil and Butcher's Wax finish on a whole instrument would be nice, also depending on the wood; second, for the body, to nitro-lacquer.

4) Used? Yes! Played! "Lived-in"! Banged around a little, accidents do happen...

Abused? No! Though I sometimes do things that I wouldn't let anybody else do on my axes!

5) If an instrument happens to already have dings and wear, etc.- whether acrued over a lifetime or two of hard use and tales untold, or in a matter of hours at the hands of a "forgery expert", er, I mean "artificially aged" for that "Relic" look- and I like the way it plays and sounds and feels and loves me back, fine! If it looks like tommorrow's next-big-shiny-wet-car-dream, and I like all the aforementioned, fine! If a "new" and un-aged as of purchase axe begins to show wear like worn plating, finish, some accidental dings, etc., it adds character that is part of OUR history (said axe and myself) and is beautiful and cool and vibey and the essence of "vintage". Would I artificially "age" an instrument, beyond letting it sit in sunlight when I wanted it to be close by on a stand, and playing it as if I mean it? No way!

Like I said, though, if an "Aged", "Faded", or "Relic" instrument just happened to also be the best playing, sounding, and felling axe in the shop, then I'd still like it!

Feature and design details, like rounded-over fingerboard edges and satin or oil'n'wax "finish" on the back of a neck, that make an instrument feel and play like a well-played, "broken-in", vintage axe are great! The purely cosmetic approach of artificial-aging is an aesthetic taken to an illogical extreme, and carries little weight with me.

Of course, repairs done to a vintage axe that blend in to the point of invisibility are perfectly acceptable!

I hope this is useful to you, wraub and Bastid!

Hey, give us your two's answers to the preceding questions! Fair enough? Expiring minds want to know! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not much. Sometimes a striking finish will catch my eye, but I have never purchased or rejected an instrument because of the finish. Consequently I have some damned ugly instruments in my collection. LOL

No real preference.

If the wood has interesting grain I think a glossy poly or laquer finish looks better. If it's a mundane chunk of tree, then a flat oil/wax finish.

I seem to have aquired quite a few black instruments. Don't know if it's fate or what. I can't stand those graphic airbrush paintjobs. They remind me of a van my brother had circa 1975...

Like I said, I've never bought an instrument because I thought it looked good. Playability and sound are first and foremost.

I use them, they get dinged up, but I do try and take care of them and keep up with maintenance. They are the tools of my trade.

If it's real, it means it's been played. That's a good thing. Fake wear is just that......fake. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the axe if it was a good one.

Thanks again, and

Peace,

wraub[/QB]

Later..................

some - it has to match "me" visually. Subdued hues, tones, natural colors, or the sublime intricacy of a sunburst. Of course, buying used leaves little choice when new is just out of the question.

prefer either a sunburst or a natural finish, not too flat, not too glossy.

Actual materials used to finish bass doesn't matter to me as much as durability and ease of maintenance are kept in mind by whoever put it together.

I don't want something that has to be kept in a museum grade temperature controlled chamber and needs to be handled with kid gloves. I'm always careful but accidents do happen and I'm not made of money.

I've never cared to associate the visual with the auditory. When hearing a bass under consideration, I keep my eyes shut and focus entirely on the playability and the sound. Once I'm satisfied, I'll look at the bass and see if it's appropriate to my personality (nothing outlandish or crazy). It has to be an all or nothing deal to be right.

I take care of my tools and they take care of me.

Strongly dislike signs of abuse, wear and tear - they show negligence and disrespect, or for the person who deliberately applies the scars to their new instrument, great insecurity.

I never understood the cult of scars (meaning that the battle scars somehow make the instrument "better") and I'm not about to begin believing that crap either. It doesn't apply to my idea of a good car, it doesn't apply to me, and it doesn't apply to my music gear.

I've had instruments for years and if it comes time to sell them, as I did with my Fender Jazz Five a while ago, I always get top dollar because I keep it as immaculate as possible.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Well, I didn't take the time to read all of the answers to these questions, so I may be repeating. Please forgive me.

I buy a bass for how it plays first and how it sounds second. Finish isn't that important to me, although I don't really think I'd buy a really ugly/sissy color, unless it made me play like Victor Wooten. In that case, I'd never put it down.

On a custom order bass, I'd order a cherry sunburst or a crimsonburst (why did Fender discontinue it?).

My last 2 basses were silver, but, purely by coincidence. I got a killer deal on a Zon that was silver and my Stingray is silver. I played 30 Stingrays the day I went to buy it and it felt and played the best, so I had 2 silver basses at the same time.

okay, MY answers, being the high holy guru of wood finishing that i am:

1) the finish definitely plays a role in the decision to buy an instrument. if the neck has a bright, glossy finish it will drag under my hand and not play nice. other than that, i just kinda hope a bass that plays/sounds good looks cool. as far as appearances go, i think shape and design play a larger role than style of finish.

2) i prefer finishes that show the wood grain. wood is beautiful and i've chosen to live my life surrounded by it. there is ugly wood and that needs a nice opaque lacquer finish, other than that it's clear for me. i would like to try some crazy designs in stain with a clear nitro-cel lacquer over it. otherwise, and this is my philosophy on finishing necks, it's polymerized tung oil varnish. it penetrates, builds to a film and is a lot more fexible/solvent resistant than lacquer. this means it protects better. it also makes wood look better, feels unbelievable under your hands and gloss/film is completely controlable at any stage. pure tung oil and wax is not really a viable finish the more i think about it because of how permiable and heat/chemical sensitive it is. the wax does a good job protecting the oil finish, but you have to stay on top of it at least weekly.

3) penetrative finishes will effect your tone. try it first.

4) if i get dings in my finish i make sure they won't adversly effect the instrument. if not, let 'em be. grime on the fingerboard is like hair, it looks good with either a little or a lot and really awkward in between.

5) artificially aging an instrument is cheating. it's lie a boxer breaking his own nose to look meaner. you can't buy character, it must be earned. if you bought a "pre-aged" instrument that was not aged by the long term use of the previous owner, get the thing refinished and beat it up yourself you poser.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

The look, feel, and sound of a bass are all equally important to me. If I really like the look of the bass then I will be more inspired to play it and will feel more confident playing it.

I am really into wood finishes. If you are going to make a bass out of beautiful woods with nice grain to it, you might as well show them off. My stingray has a glossy finish on it, which is ok, but I would rather have a non-glossy wax type finish (like Warwick basses).

I haven't been playing long enough or played enough basses to notice a difference.

My basses are tools, but at the same time they are works of art. I don't keep them in a glass case or anything, but I treat them with the respect they deserve.

Im not really into the worn look that much. If the wear and tear was my doing, then I wouldn't care too much. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a bass that was made to look worn in, that just seems fake and chessy to me.

(Trying to keep it short):

A.)I wouldn't buy a guitar whose looks I didn't like.

B.)Prefer natural wood with a clear, hard finish on top, but some of the 'quilted' ones make me feel funny. I guess it's a Billy-Bob Thornton kind of thing. :confused: I love the Gibson SG/EB Cherry-over-Mahogany too.

C.)Never noticed a finish making that much -if any- difference. I have had a couple instruments refinished and they sounded the same to me afterwords.

D.)Try to be careful, but it's gonna bang into things sometimes. (Headstock into cymbal oh F**K!). :mad:

E.)A worn-off finish is a thing of beauty, don't dig on the factory aging idea.

Yes, cheating, or just fake.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

1) Not a massive amount. Shape is more important than finish and as long as it isn't something daft like a skull and crossbones then I don't mind.

2) I prefer natural wood finishes. Wood is such a wonderfully random thing that you can study it's patterns forever and never get bored of looking at it. I tend to prefer darkish woods over the very very bright ones, however the sound is more important than the look. I should say as well that I have never seen the point of spending extra cash on figured woods. If the bass is made from ash, then show me the ash and let me bask in it's gorgeous simplicity.

Although if I the bass had to be coloured, then blue, black or white. (A wood stain so that I can see the grain of the wood, for preference.)

3) My opinion is totally based on the look.

4) My basses are used and not wrapped in cotton wool. I don't go all Pete Townshend on them but as long as they don't get smashed to bits the odd little scratch or ding is nothing to worry about.

5) Instruments that have bruises and scars seem look like they have a little more soul to me. I wouldn't buy a Fender relic or anything like that, it costs too much. Also those instruments are brand new, they haven't earnt their battle scars. I love my Squire J. It has a few dings and a load of screw holes because I have taken the scratch plate off. I love that is looks like mine and no-one else's, it has that customised vibe about it. (This will be enhanced further when I fit some EMGs, a new bridge and change the control nobs.)

Also pleeeeeeeeeeeeease only use chrome hardware. Gold looks so tacky and the black stuff looks like it's made from plastic. Chrome is the way forward.

To sum up my view, make it look as simple as possible. Seal the wood so that it doesn't get affected by smoke etc. but beyond that spend the cash on the best hardware, TONE woods and electronics. Is that AAAAAAAAAAAAA grade flame maple veneer going to make your bass sound any better. No? Then why are you paying for it?

PS: When does my Nickthebass signature Seismic J-style arrive?

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

There are too many questions for me to keep track of so I'll just say that I like necks with satin finishes. I like natural oiled wood bodies and see through gloss stains. I play bass,I don't watch my instrument as it sits on the stand. I expect my bass to get dings,scuffs,and scratches although I try to be as careful as is reasonable. I think who ever came up with the marketing abomination known as "relic" should be hung up and have cigarette burns applied,parts of his skin stripped away,and caustic fluids applied to several parts of his body.

Hey, Bastid E-

Originally posted by Bastid E:

" ...otherwise, and this is my philosophy on finishing necks, it's polymerized tung oil varnish. it penetrates, builds to a film and is a lot more fexible/solvent resistant than lacquer. this means it protects better. it also makes wood look better, feels unbelievable under your hands and gloss/film is completely controlable at any stage. pure tung oil and wax is not really a viable finish the more i think about it because of how permiable and heat/chemical sensitive it is. the wax does a good job protecting the oil finish, but you have to stay on top of it at least weekly."

-what is polymerized tung-oil varnish, and where can I get it, and how do I use it properly? You say it can be buffed to the desired "gloss" or lack thereof? Can it be used over stain, and if so, what kinds of stains (bases) can or should be used?

Also originally posted by Bastid E:

"Artificially aging an instrument is cheating. it's like a boxer breaking his own nose to look meaner. you can't buy character, it must be earned. if you bought a "pre-aged" instrument that was not aged by the long term use of the previous owner, get the thing refinished and beat it up yourself you poser."

:thu:

I agree; I hated to admit it, but a Fender Custom Shop "Relic" was the best Fender-ish instrument in the shop I was in once, due, I'm sure, to the quality of the woods and workmanship, and pretty much in spite of the "aging" bullshit.

I can see shaping a neck, fingerboard edge, etc. to feel and play better, even "broken in" somewhat artificially, and I've always liked the "vintage tint" many makers use on maple and spruce, but the total ding, scratch, burn, and scrape approach to a cosmetic "ideal" is stupid, crazy, useless, and just plain fake! :rolleyes::D -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not that much as long as it doesn't look embarassing. However the finish on the back of the neck is more important feel-wise, though that can be changed with relative ease.

Wood. Oil/wax, keep it as natural as possible.

I prefer the feel of wax finished basses, plus I like that they look like working instruments rather than pieces of expensive furniture which might look a bit out of place at a dingy gig. Since stripping the paint of my Hohner the tone seems to have really opened up, it's much more alive with more natural resonance.

They're tools. I try to avoid abusing them but accidents do happen, however dents, dings and scratches are muchless noticeable and easier to fix with a wax finished bass, just sand and rewax.

I love the wear that my old Warwick has acquired over its 16 years of life, just gives it more vibe and funkiness. However I would not buy any artificially aged bass, that just doesn't seem right.

Alex

Not much. If I really didn't like the finish (say, a neon pink job from the 80's...) and I really, really like the bass, I'd buy it and have it re-finished. Ain't no thang.

I like the natural wood look and/or finishes that show off the wood grain. Flat/glossy doesn't really matter.

Purely based on appearance. I have not played two basses that were identical other than the finish side by side enough to notice a difference in tone.

They are tools... I try to treat them with The Love, but you know, as Forest Gump said, "It happens" "What? sh*t?" "Sometimes..."

I like the wear that well used instruments acquire... especially when it's my instrument and I know what each little mark is from. Call them 'war wounds' or what have you. 'Aging' an instrument like the Fender customer shop does is kinda silly in my opinion.

Not a huge amount, but if the bass only sounded ok and was butt ugly then i wouldn't buy it but if it sounded amazing and had a nasty finish i would end up caring less about chips than is should. If there is two basses exactly the same i think i'd choose the red one, i like red.

I tend to go for the finish where you can see the wood through the paint eg transparent crimson so guess thats paint.

i have one red sunburst and one crimson transparent, just plain colours don't appeal to me unless it was white with a black scratch plate, i've always liked glittery colours though, like gibsons "gem" line they did a while back. glossy is best cos it looks really nice when new or clean but i can be dulled by sweaty palms.

I tend to look at sound first then appearence but if a bass is hideous then i wouldn't even pick it up appearance is always important upto a limit.

I treat my guitars like tools to be loved and used but never abused, chips and dings are all part of the guitar playing expericence like scars are when you grow up.

I like wear but only on certain colours i think wear looks best on dull colours that are close to the wood colour like normal sunburst. Im not a huge fan of already worn guitars cos sometimes they have wear in really silly places plus you're being charged extra for less paint, gits! It always looks best if you wear it your self and then look back at pictures of when you first got your guitar and can go "crap where did all that finish go".

That was fun thanks afro xxx

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

1. A bass is a whole package, sound is obviously the biggest factor, but I wouldn't buy a bass I didn't wanna bed!

2. I love the look of grain. I work in a factory and unfortunately, a lot of people have no pride in their work. The same must ring true at guitar factories, I trust what I can see.

2b. I like natural finishes, but my Ric has a glossy finish. After a few numbers, my hands are aided in movement by a nice coating of sweat.

3. Colour wise, no one colour has the monopoly.

4. I don't think finish affects sound too much, though I have little experiences with a large number of finishes.

5. I play music, somtimes very aggressively, things get bumped. At the start these little marks pissed me off, now I love them. They make a Ric 4003 MY Ric 4003.

6. Artificially aged instruments make me wanna puke. Enough said.

Wraub, one thing not mentioned so far is the importance (in my mind) of the shape and positioning of the stratch plate. A shape that compliments the shape of the bass works for me. Anything too intigrate or off the wall makes a bass look messy IMO.

Cheers, great thread btw.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

My many thanks to all who have answered thus far. I feel I have learned a lot about many people who post here, as well as gathered many ideas for designs.

Caevan-Got your PM, check yours.

As requested, here are my answers:

1)The way a bass looks may make me pick it up, but it is the way it plays and feels that keeps it in my hands. I do have a preference for orange, but not to a fault.

2)I like wood and the way it looks, consequently I prefer colored stains on wood, fave colors would be orange, blue, and raspberry, or clear when the wood is right. While the 3 basses I own now are painted, the 2 I used to own were stain on wood.

3)I tend to think that an "open" finish, such as oil, adds to (or removes less) from the resonance of the wood, when compared to, say, poly or even some lacquer treatments.

4)It is a tool, it will get damaged in the heat of battle. No abuse, though.

5)A new instrument, treated to look old, is cheating, IMO, no matter how "cool" it looks. No soul. Bastid's analogy about the boxer says it all.

Many thanks again for the responses. Look for another mini-poll soon!

You guys rock!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

what is polymerized tung-oil varnish, and where can I get it, and how do I use it properly? You say it can be buffed to the desired "gloss" or lack thereof? Can it be used over stain, and if so, what kinds of stains (bases) can or should be used?

polymerized tung oil varnish is a complicated way of saying a stand-alone wiping varnish made out of tung oil. however THIS is the shzznt. ignore the "luster" part of the description becuase that simply refers to concentration of finish vs. solvent. they also make a stain, but if you can't find the color you want you can make your own version with the varnish and japan colors.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

My answer . . .

1. The bass finish does affect my decision . . . I mean if its ugly then why buy it?

2. Wood- Warwick Thumb, Yay!!

Oil/Wax- the only way to go

3. I look at the looks of it and if the bass is even a little bit attractive I play it. If the sound it horrible, then I put it back. But if everything is nice, I take it to the next step.

4. If anyone touches my any of my basses, I smack them silly . . . for real.

5. Unless its a real classic Fender,or like, there is no point in getting it, and remember cheating can get you expulsion . . .

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

Finish isn't a major factor--I wouldn't buy a bass because it was pretty. It would make me that much more interested in a bass I already liked, though. And ugly/blah/weird is a deal-breaker.

I like to see wood. (ahem) I really like a nice burst finish (EM/MM make some lovely ones, e.g.). 2/3 of my basses are solid paint finish, actually, but I do prefer a finish that lets the wood show through. My Sterling with honey burst over ash is just lovely. Sherioushly, everyone likesh a nische piesche of ash. :D

I like classy, and classic/traditional looks. Not big on metallics, sparkles, etc.

Neck finish can be a big factor. I actually like a gloss or clear finish. A nice satiny/waxy feel is oh so nice--probably my favorite. But I don't like it when I grab a neck & it feels raw, unfinished; it just doesn't feel right to me, & I always think they just let it out of the factory too soon, plus they get grubby fast.

I like to keep mine as wear-free as possible. Durability matters to me. Things happen, & I try not to lose sleep over it. But I take pride in keeping an instrument beautiful.

It counts less than feel, but it counts...

I prefer a finish where you can see the grain rather than a paint. As much as I love the look of the "natural" woods, all my basses are some form of dark red (with ya StoneKnife !!).

I prefer a hard finish. I don't want to feel raw wood on the back of the neck. I prefer a hard finish body as well. As to the chemical used, I don't need it to be glossy (though I like that - my Kinal is glossy). Jack Read, Mike Tobias, and others use a kind of poly/oil mix (maybe this is what Bastid was talking about). Jack told me what's in it (not how to make it), but I forget - ask him if you want more info.

I don't pick a finish for the sound. The color is for appearance; the finish is for feel (most important).

This is an issue for me. I had a bass I didn't care much about for 30 years, and now I have this custome made beauty. I'm not anal about it, because dings will happen, but I'll do my best to keep it nice. No abuse.

[/i]5)Do you dislike the sort of wear that most well used instruments seem to acquire (think Jaco), or do you rather wear that "damage" with pride?[/i]

My Gibson is pretty hacked up, and I'm not thrilled about it. It isn't worth a refinish (it needs frets first !!). I think an instrument should be in good condition. When I start wearing thru the lacquer on my Kinal, I'll have it fixed before I start destroying the color.

Not interested in spending money on pre-distressed instruments.

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived