Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Firefly?

wraub

Almost 7 months in, still going strong. Still enjoying the FFLP, still playing it pretty much every day.

Good! Glad to hear it! Has it really been seven months now already... ?!

In a state of curiosity I recently added a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, and the change that made was amazing, and kinda mind blowing. More of everything, it really enhanced the harmonics or something because it's almost a different guitar now, lively and even more enjoyable. Oddly, the strings feel a little slinkier and easier to bend, too. I kept the same strings when I changed the pieces, it's a real actual difference in sound and feel.

I got a Gotoh TOM bridge and some Gotoh locking tuners too, because one person was selling them all new in one sale. I may still add those at some point, but right now I'm not in any hurry.

That's VERY cool, wraub! I'm glad that worked out well for you.

I've been tempted to upgrade the tailpiece on my Les Paul, too, and also some of the other hardware and electronics. Reading of your results, I'm a little more likely to.

Currently the guitar weighs 8lbs4.5ozs, plays and sounds really good, and draws me to it like a beacon of wonder and delight.

GOOD.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wraub, Thanks for the updates! Sounds like your project worked out so well that you now have a "beacon of wonder and delight" !!! :2thu:

Caevan, We haven't heard any "Ash the World Turns" news lately...any new progress on your project? :popcorn:

Take care, Larryz

Wraub, Thanks for the updates! Sounds like your project worked out so well that you now have a "beacon of wonder and delight" !!! :2thu:

Caevan, We haven't heard any "Ash the World Turns" news lately...any new progress on your project? :popcorn:

Hey, Larry! Here's a link for your convenience- and so as NOT to hijack wraub's shining beacon of wonder and delight thread here (I just love that!)... :thu::rawk:

Updated "Ash the world turns... -thread", scroll down

Yes, it'll be 7 months from when I got it, in 2 days from now. I'm just early. ;)

The Gotoh has aluminum for the tailpiece and brass for the posts, which makes a lot of difference from the cast metal w/ steel posts of the stock piece, and it's a real difference tonally. I had read it could be, but honestly didn't expect that changing the tailpiece could affect things so dramatically... but it has in my case.

Cheap and reversible, too. If you've been on the fence I can definitely say it's worth trying.I am 100% sold, and that tailpiece stays with that guitar from now on.

And, yes again, I said a shining beacon of wonder and delight, singing unknown songs just for me to discover, like a siren inside a muse inside a suit of velvet armor, and carrying a secret hammer. Oar something like that, I'm off work.;)

Almost 7 months in, still going strong. Still enjoying the FFLP, still playing it pretty much every day.

Good! Glad to hear it! Has it really been seven months now already... ?!

In a state of curiosity I recently added a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, and the change that made was amazing, and kinda mind blowing. More of everything, it really enhanced the harmonics or something because it's almost a different guitar now, lively and even more enjoyable. Oddly, the strings feel a little slinkier and easier to bend, too. I kept the same strings when I changed the pieces, it's a real actual difference in sound and feel.

I got a Gotoh TOM bridge and some Gotoh locking tuners too, because one person was selling them all new in one sale. I may still add those at some point, but right now I'm not in any hurry.

That's VERY cool, wraub! I'm glad that worked out well for you.

I've been tempted to upgrade the tailpiece on my Les Paul, too, and also some of the other hardware and electronics. Reading of your results, I'm a little more likely to.

Currently the guitar weighs 8lbs4.5ozs, plays and sounds really good, and draws me to it like a beacon of wonder and delight.

GOOD.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Yes, it'll be 7 months from when I got it, in 2 days from now. I'm just early. ;)

Two days short... I knew it hadn't been seven months... ! ;):D:thu:

The Gotoh has aluminum for the tailpiece and brass for the posts, which makes a lot of difference from the cast metal w/ steel posts of the stock piece, and it's a real difference tonally.

I am 100% sold, and that tailpiece stays with that guitar from now on.

Good!

...a shining beacon of wonder and delight, singing unknown songs just for me to discover, like a siren inside a muse inside a suit of velvet armor, and carrying a secret hammer. Oar something like that... ;)

It just keeps getting better and better, a gift that keeps on giving... !

Seriously, and I can't stress this enough- if you have a guitar that has a TOM bridge and tailpiece, and you think the sound may be lacking. you owe it to yourself and that guitar to try a replacement tailpiece. It doesn't have to be the brand I went with, there are many options. But, and especially if the tailpiece on that disappointing guitar is some kind of cast mystery metal, an aluminum tailpiece may be your answer. Or, a brass one, or titanium, or...

Point being, I would never have imagined the difference was possible, but having seen/heard the change myself, I recommend it as worthy of trying. And, again, it can be pretty cheap, as others have tried and not liked the difference in sound, so lots of used ones around if one looks.

Anyway, I'm sold.

Thanks, both of you. :) The new tailpiece has, if anything, renewed my intense like for this guitar. I honestly play it every day, and look at it often. It makes me realize how much I have to learn as a guitar player, but it doesn't mock or punish me for it. It's light, it plays well and sounds good, and it makes me want to play more and better.

So, a "relaxed" day off, and pics ensued. Back to playing now. ;)

I have a hard time believing reviews when the manufacturing company is sending the reviewer the guitar. Not because the reviewer is dishonest. Because if the manufacturer agent is smart he is going to test a bunch of guitars and send out the one that plays best. I just don't believe these review models are representative of the actual product. I'd much rather trust the opinions of forum mates who have bought one or tried one in a store.
  • Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have not been compensated for my opinions on this guitar. I freely admit that Firefly has some notable QC issues on record that are available online with a little research, and I will acknowledge the obvious issues of MIC construction.

I got mine from offerup, met the seller in a grocery store parking lot. No affiliation, connection, or contact at all with any rep, agent or person with any connection to Firefly....or Gotoh, for that matter. I will say that mine is surprisingly good, and offered lots of potential for mods. Mine also has some minor finish issues- color on binding, random "spots" on the finish- and, personally speaking, I think the Firefly logo is as sad and homely as a logo can be and I have dealt with that.

Meanwhile, I have a light, well balanced guitar that plays well and sounds really good for not a lot of money. I bought the guitar hoping the bones would be okay to mod, and I am satisfied.

Frankly speaking, looking at retail prices, between the pickups and the tailpiece there are about $750 worth of "upgrades" to the original Firefly FFLP i bought, but I did get the pickups for free. I currently have about $200 into this guitar, and I have no complaints.