Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cloud synthesis

While looking at a few Sonik State videos of a berlin meet with all kinds of small synth stuff I thought about the opposite of the retro movement I was a fan of myself. How would you feel about starting synthesis you wouldn't be able to run otherwise on the cloud and freely accessing synthesis software and accommodating effects (not the standard ones) to stream back to you in real time (possibly with a little delay of course).

In this time, making a windows or Mac application that follows all kinds of standards (sensible or not) for music programs has limitations and is a lot of work unless you happen to have a good framework that works the way you want to to begin with.

I usually, no: make that always, run Linux sound software. Not because I don't have no windows machine standing right next to the keyboards, because I have a fine Windows 10 Pro 12 threader I can start up, with a recent (small) Qubase variation on it, but it doesn't make me feel good, whereas on Linux (somewhat recent Fedora) I know what sound signal paths I create and they run sample for sample accurate and allow huge amounts of basic DSP elements to be used too, including a hundred control windows with parameters of Ladspa effects, which if needed can be adapted and recompiled even.

Anyhow, my recent (Linux, though some like Dexed certainly run on Windows as well) software synthesis with specific beef up effects might be interesting for people interested in good sounds, but require Linux with the right sound tools installed, and a script to run like 40 (rack) programs and connections between them. You don't need a PhD for that, but it might be handier to have a cloud solution which starts up easily at request to try out sounds, create samples or tracks and generally plow around in like keyboardists are supposed to.

Or not ?

T.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic