Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth Sound for Song - Young Turks

One of my bands is learning this song, and I"m having difficulty identifying the sound for the synth fill during the chorus:

'Young hearts be free tonight' --> Synth fill

'Time is on your side' --> Synth fill

I"m disappointed to be struggling with such a simple sound! :blush:

I never realized how many synth parts are in this song. The video shows two keyboard players, one guy with a Clavinet, Prophet-5, and a Minimoog; the other dude with a Rhodes, but not sure what"s on top of it.

I"m good with the rest of the tones, a synth bell pad, and couple of fairly standard analog patches, but this one is eluding me.

Thanks for your help!

[video:youtube]

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the band shots in the video are amusing, I wouldn't think those are indicative of what's on the recorded track, but you already know that.

The sound you're referring to seems to me to have two elements: 1) the hollow bell kind of initial sound, and 2) the underlying sustained pad element.

Back in the day, that might have simply been two completely different synths, doubling the part, or MIDI'd.

The hollow-ish bell-attack sound reminds me of a patch on my old Korg Polysix. That single-oscillator per voice machine always sounded "softer" to me than the Roland Junos that came out at the same time, but the key to that sound on the Polysix was the attack / decay and the ensemble effect.

The pad element could be just about anything, I think, as long as you keep the filter cutoff down and get the sustain about right.

Just my 0.02

Tim

My first thought was, "there's a digital synth layered in there with that analog low-cut pad!" The chime-y layer and chorus riff kind of remind me of Walk of Life by Dire Straits, which seems to be an FM patch (right after the Hammond intro). Then I thought, "What am I, nuts? Young Turks was 1981!" But, I guess the GS-1 and Synclavier were available back then, to people older and richer than I was. So, it might not be 2 analog synth sounds layered. There definitely seems to be a low filter-cutoff analog pad, but is it layered with an early Yamaha FM or Synclavier preset (or modified preset)? Beats me, but I thought I'd bring up the possibility.