Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2nd Annual Holiday Gift Video - me+1

Thursday 12/17/2020 I was invited to make the second annual Holiday Gift Video with my friend Brittany Collins.

We started around 1:30 with arranging and rehearsing and the last take ended around 3.

She chose a song that I love and had never played.

The only thing I knew going in was that I wanted to play acoustic guitar capoed on the 5th fret. Song is in C, moving it to the G shape is super easy and adds a nice chime.

Just one mic (AKG 414) for vocals and Brittany's guitar and I was plugged directly in. In balance, I feel like it's a pretty legit cover of an artist who I've always considered difficult to emulate.

I wish you and yours all the happiest of holidays, and I look forward to the year to come. Peace, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!

I see what you mean about the capo. Definitely adds some 'zing' to the sound of the guitar.

By the way, your real name is spookily similar to mine...

Interesting, there are not many Longeneckers out there. And, she misspelled it. I forgive everybody for that since they all do it one way or another. Grandpa dropped the "c" when the family came from Europe after the Archduke Ferdinand was shot and before WWI really got going. Smart Grandap!!! He moved to Minnesota and started a farm so they had food during the Great Depression.

Anyway, it's Longeneker and that is even rarer.

That's really good, most welcome, and the sound quality is even good! It's a nice treat to have this show up in the forum. Thank you!

Thanks Craig, I appreciate it!

Audio is recorded on a Universal Audio 2 channel interface. Brittany has an AKG 414 mic for vocals and her guitar. I've got my guitar plugged straight in. She's still using Garage Band but has downloaded Logic and will install it soon.

Her mix, her room, her lighting etc. Little by little she's been dialing it in, I think it looks and sounds good too. Camera is an iPhone.

Proof that much can be done with very little of one spends the time to trouble shoot and experiement. I love her backdrop, it's perfect for the purpose.

Sounds nice indeed. Is that your Fishman Triple Play pickup we're hearing? It sounds just like a real guitar, unusual for too many acoustic pickups that I've encountered.

Thanks Mike, glad you enjoy.

No, the Fishman is on a Tele.

This Rainsong OM-1000 came from the factory with an LR Baggs Element pickup and I've always disliked it. The B string was super loud compared to the E and G strings adjacent to it.

And, it sounded just like an undersaddle piezo pickup. Harsh, yet thin. Lots of controls to try and dial away the "bad" but it never sounded good to me. A piece of crap.

A friend wanted to install K&K Pro Mini pickups in two guitars and asked me what I would charge. I told her to buy 3 pickups and I would take the 3rd one. I love it, very even and remarkably "natural" sounding. That is just the pickup, straight to the output jack. Passive, no battery needed, no controls, just lovely, even tones.

I made a custom shaped plastic plate to cover where the control panel was and sold the Baggs, I would never have used it on anything. It didn't even sound bad enough to be good!!

Part of the miracle was how much better the Rainsong sounded with a solid saddle going to the bottom of the saddle slot. The Baggs pickup was more or less a piece of shielded cable, not an ideal way to transmit sound from the strings to the top. Pulling it out and installing a newly fabricated bone saddle made a guitar that sounded great acoustically sound completely amazing, really a big difference.

There may be a bit of bleed into the single microphone too. I don't have the tracks so not sure what all is on what.

Thanks Markyboard!

I wanted to dislike the Rainsong guitars - plastic!!!!

The first time I played one I loved it, they sound and play amazing. The finish on the back of the neck needs to be re-polished to a matte finish, a bit squeaky back there.

No other faults worth mentioning. I had a 1970 Martin D-35 that sounded as good as any Martin dreadnaught I've ever played, a really sweet guitar and I had it for a long time.

After a few years of owning the Rainsong I realized I might not ever play the Martin again so I sold it. I've never missed it.