Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Route my Ableton Click to the Audio IN of SPD... [HOW TO]

Hello guys,

I'm a keyboardist, and I'm using mostly my computer and Ableton Live for VST.

For two songs, I want to give the click to the drummer who's playing with the SPD SX.

I need the click too !

So what I think is possible is that : route the headphone output of my sound interface to the audio in of the SPD.

Then, the drummer will have to select PHONES in the Audio In settings so that the click is not routed to the main output.

I'll use the 2nd headphone output of my sound interface to hear the click too.

Is this how it works ?

Thanks guys.

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:yeahthat:

If you don't have an audio interface with at least four channels of output and the ability to route two stereo pairs to two different physical outs, then this won't work as it's impossible to separate the click from what you're playing. Otherwise, what you've laid out will be a great place to start, assuming it doesn't work right off the bat.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

"Otherwise just pick up a Headphone amp and run out 3/4 from babyface to it.

Then use a pair of phones by you, and get an extension cable for your drummer"s headphones to make it to the headphone amp."

He won't be able to hear himself play the SPD then :'(

New video :

Yamaha MG-06 at the drummer. He runs Ableton click to Babyface Out 3 to the MG. Also runs the SPD to the MG. Listens to both at the headphone out of the MG-06.

You take output 4 and run it to a headphone amp. If you need to monitor other things, you also use a tiny mixer.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

So apparently, thanks to you and other forums, this should be the solution :

Redirect my Click Track from Ableton to the outputs 3/4 of my BabyFace (is this the male XLR ones on the front ?) to the Audio IN of the SPD.

Then, the drummer will have to select PHONES in the Audio In settings so that the click is not routed to the main output. The audio In volume must be carefuly adjusted because it seems to saturate easily.

I"ll use the 2nd headphone output of my sound interface to hear the click too.

Hurray !

Well that"s just theory⦠I have to test this tomorrow whereas I don"t know my sound interface and that the gig is well⦠tomorrow !

New video :

Assuming the SPD manual is correct about being able to send Audio IN to phones exclusively, ya, that solves his side. You're side headphone right off the interface is good - like you said just as long as you arent sending the click to the main outs.

Out 3/4 on the babyface....

Is this an original Babyface or a Babyface Pro? I remember the original model having a breakout cable that you attach to what looks like a VGA styled port where you picked up the additional I/O.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560