Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone use a Tech 21 Fly Rig?
#3046899 06/01/20 03:48 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I love my pedals. I generally don't like multi-effects; respect the idea, but don't like having to become a programmer. Plus I like being able to make adjustments easily on the fly. BUT... I am contemplating getting a Tech 21 Fly Rig. It seems to have most of what I have on my board; just slightly different flavors. And it's analog, and the Tech 21 Sansamp is a quality preamp. The sound samples I've heard and reviews I've read all seem pretty good. Only potential drawback is there's no effects loop, in case I wanted to add another pedal. A wah I could easily put up front; but a delay or phasor I'd want near the end. Minor points, for effects I'd use in limited settings.

Any real-life experience here on the LDLD?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
BP Island
Re: Anyone use a Tech 21 Fly Rig?
Danzilla #3046903 06/01/20 04:02 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have not used a Fly Rig but I do want one!!! Well, 2 - one for bass and one for guitar.

A friend had the standard bass Fly Rig and sold it again quickly. I don't think he spent much time figuring it out, he isn't much for tweaking things.
He turned the octaver all the way up and didn't like the way that sounded so he flipped it. I attribute that to user error rather than a deficiency in the pedal.

No effects loop would not be a deal breaker for me, as you say - wah in front and/or delay/reverb in back if you even need them.

I have a trusty old Tech 21 TriAC and it is super easy to use. The tones are great, it is a recording mainstay for me, especially for bass. The Tweed setting carefully tweaked sounds great on bass.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
KuruPrionz #3046944 06/01/20 08:20 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
[quote=KuruPrionz] A friend had the standard bass Fly Rig and sold it again quickly. I don't think he spent much time figuring it out, he isn't much for tweaking things.
He turned the octaver all the way up and didn't like the way that sounded so he flipped it. I attribute that to user error rather than a deficiency in the pedal. [quote]

Ouch. One of the things I like about it is that you DON''T (or at least shouldn't) have to figure out much; it's pretty simple analog controls.
:shrug:

But thanks for the other opinions, KP!

NEW band Old band
Danzilla #3049365 06/17/20 06:26 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, the "demo" model of this that I was watching on Prymaxe's site was a good price. Then I saw they had the same one listed on Reverb for a few bucks less. I was going to email them and offer the Reverb price (or a bit less), when I saw that another seller on Reverb had one in very good shape, and was knocking his price down. Followed for about a week, then made him an offer. He countered; and it just arrived. saved about $50 this way!

It came well-packaged. The carrying case/tin was a bit dented, which he noted and pictured in his ad; the unit is fine (used in studio for a bit; only 1 live gig). First glance - it's smaller than I expected. Knobs are solid; switches are good. Will fit in a gig bag and free up a hand/shoulder. I'll try to plug it in tonight and give it a quick run-through.

NEW band Old band
Danzilla #3049513 06/18/20 05:03 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Danzilla
Well, the "demo" model of this that I was watching on Prymaxe's site was a good price. Then I saw they had the same one listed on Reverb for a few bucks less. I was going to email them and offer the Reverb price (or a bit less), when I saw that another seller on Reverb had one in very good shape, and was knocking his price down. Followed for about a week, then made him an offer. He countered; and it just arrived. saved about $50 this way!

It came well-packaged. The carrying case/tin was a bit dented, which he noted and pictured in his ad; the unit is fine (used in studio for a bit; only 1 live gig). First glance - it's smaller than I expected. Knobs are solid; switches are good. Will fit in a gig bag and free up a hand/shoulder. I'll try to plug it in tonight and give it a quick run-through.

You are a buzzard, like me!!!! Well done. The owner, designer at Tech 21 is also a gigger, he won't make cheap crap. Yes, they are tiny. When you figure in the reliability, the size and weight, the tones and the fact that you could just run a mic cable to the PA and play a gig, it's kind of a no brainer to have one, even if you only use it for a spare.

Danzilla #3049544 06/18/20 02:19 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quick first impressions:

1) Don't turn the chorus, fuzz or octave knobs all the way up (which is how they were set when I got it). Doesn't mean they aren't useful, just need some judicious tinkering for the right amount.
2) initially I thought I needed to turn the SansAmp level knob up to 3:00 just to be at unity with my volume with the pedal off. But as I played around, the knobs interact with each other rather well, and just minor adjustments here and there made me back off the level.

Lots of options in this small unit. The SansAmp section alone is almost worth the price of admission. The compressor is on par with my Pigtronix, for the most part (and for my uses, anyway). Decent tuner. Boost is nice to have. The octave/filter/fuzz section definitely will take some woodshedding to get to where I really understand the interrelation of the controls; but so far I'll stick with the philosophy of the old Pete Townshend song, "A Little Is Enough". I wouldn't mind having more parameters for the chorus, but it's pretty good as-is.

This is definitely a good investment. I still love my individual pedals; but this is a few steps above being a compromise. And way less bulky.

NEW band Old band
Danzilla #3049548 06/18/20 02:38 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yep, the SansAmp is one of the great acheivements of the last century. Analog solid state that sounds amazing. Peavey's TransTube is awesome analog tube emulation as well but they haven't done as much for bassists with it.

Most effects are better on bass when kept more subtle and used occasionally to create texture. Keep us posted as you get this dialed in!

Danzilla #3056810 08/01/20 11:21 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Don't have one but I have a SansAmp and love it. Have been thinking about getting one of these.

This post edited for speling.
Danzilla #3056812 08/01/20 11:51 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Not the same thing but a SansAmp Bass Driver DI version 2 is on it's way here.
I wanted it for recording, pretty sure it will work great for more than just bass.

It's just like the original version except they added a Mid knob to the EQ and frequency choices for Bass (40 and 80 hz) and Mid (500 and 1,000 hz).
Looking forward to having it!

Link Copied to Clipboard