Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI 2.0 - What Is Means to Musicians free Webinar, May 30

Hey all - just wanted to mention that the MMA/TMA are hosting a free webinar tomorrow (Saturday May 30) that's open to all. I'll be moderating, and we'll cover topics like why MIDI 2.0 doesn"t obsolete MIDI 1.0, when we can expect the first wave of MIDI 2.0 gear, how the new Property Exchange concept lets hardware work just like plug-ins, the timing accuracy enhancements, how high-resolution controllers give an analog feel instead of a quantized one - that sort of thing. There will be Q&A time at the end.

C'mon down! It should be fun. For details on how to join the webinar, please go to midi.org.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, MIDI is having a resurgence with the proliferation of musicians using beatboxes to drive external devices. While I no longer need to connect my keyboard to a rack of units because keyboards are now powerful to provide everything I need, I do need to connect various beat boxes to new and vintage gear.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Will this be available on youtube or someplace else later.

Midi.org asks to create an account, and I have appx. 5,489,759,651 log-ins and passwords to remember already. :laugh:

Midi 2.0 sounds great. I only have one question about it.

If it no longer uses standard DIN midi cables, will it be necessary to have some kind of translator breakout box to use

existing gear that has midi 1.0?

Will this be available on youtube or someplace else later.

Midi.org asks to create an account, and I have appx. 5,489,759,651 log-ins and passwords to remember already. :laugh:

It's not a site that stores any personal information or does any financial transactions, so you can use a bogus email address and "password" as your password. I don't know if it will be available later, but if so, it will probably be on the MIDI.org site.

Midi 2.0 sounds great. I only have one question about it.

If it no longer uses standard DIN midi cables, will it be necessary to have some kind of translator breakout box to use

existing gear that has midi 1.0?

That's already the case if you want to use DIN with USB, there are adapters like the ESI Midimate. But the bottom line is that MIDI 2.0 is designed specifically to handle backwards compatibility. MIDI 2.0 gear can ask whether other gear whether it speaks MIDI 2.0 or not. If it does, they communicate via 2.0. If there's no response, then it's assumed the other gear is MIDI 1.0, so the MIDI 2.0 gear falls back to using MIDI 1.0 to communicate with it.