Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding a KM article

Fellow Keyboarders, a little help, please.

I'm trying to track down something that I read many years ago on an old issue of Keyboard Magazine.

It was an enclosed paragraph within a larger article, where Keith Emerson gave a colorful account of his only close encounter with Jimmy Smith. He went to see Smith after an ELP concert in the USA. He said that he was the only white person in the small club, and that Smith started to make fun of him, pratically forcing him to leave.

I can't remember whether the main article was about Keith or Jimmy. I went thru my collection of KM issues and I found five (!) articles on Emerson and one on Smith, but none was the one containing that little paragraph; it's possible that I don't have that issue anymore. Btw I'm about 100% sure that this short story was contained in a box, separated from the main body of the article/interview.

I would like to translate the story into Italian for some friends who mantain a Keith Emerson page.

Is anybody willing to help me find it? I'd be really, really grateful!

Carlo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith had told me that story directly, many times. There are actually two... the first time he went to went to see Jimmy after an ELP concert, and Jimmy mocked him from the stage, a second time he visited him in his dressing room.

No doubt it is in his autobiography - let me look for you.

Edit: Sorry, it's not there. I seriously doubt he told the story in Keyboard....

Jerry

Thanks a lot Jerry!!

I can't remember reading the story on Keith's book, but I read it 10 years ago... and I can't locate it anymore! Aaarrgghh.

Edit: Btw, I'm pretty sure that the story was in Keyboard.

Here's the story of their meeting (this is not exactly as Keith told me directly):

https://www.facebook.com/CarlFPalmer/posts/when-keith-emerson-met-jimmy-smith-it-was-mid-1990s-at-the-vine-street-bar-and-g/1011094312302221/

Note the story headline is misleading, because the meeting did not happen in the mid-1990's - it was mid-70s for sure.

But there was another element to it. Likely word got to Jimmy that some hot-shot rock keyboard player was in the club, or maybe it was just the sight of a long-haired white guy who stood out from the rest of the crowd. Keith said he sat down near the stage and Jimmy just kept glaring at him. And he switched up what he was playing to something really corny like "Waltzing Matilda", and kept playing it while just staring daggers at Keith. Keith was crushed, as Jimmy was a hero, and here he was seemingly mocking him. So that was strike # 1. The rest of the story only sealed his fate.

You're welcome.

As I said, I just went through the book and it's not in there.

But that FB post gets the main outcome of the meeting right, although some of the details vary from what I remember Keith telling me. He's told the story a few times during various dinners I'd had with him and others over the years.

I can't imagine that Keyboard printed the story of Jimmy grabbing his genitals... the mocking of him from stage, perhaps.

Jerry

Thanks a lot Jerry!!

I can't remember reading the story on Keith's book, but I read it 10 years ago... and I can't locate it anymore! Aaarrgghh.

Edit: Btw, I'm pretty sure that the story was in Keyboard.

October '95, pg 46

KM occasionally published a listing of columns, artist interviews, etc every year or so. One of the best things I ever did was make photocopies of those listings and keep them in my file cabinet, where I can look up stuff quickly.

Rick Wakeman in Prog Magazine recalls that he and Keith were best mates. They knew that UK rags like Melody Maker were pitting artists against each other, and they often joked "Did you see what they printed this week?!?" The rags were trying to make them out as bitter rivals.

On one occasion they were enjoying tea at a pub when a citizen approached them and told them how glad he was to see them getting along. Right on cue, Rick tells the guy he hates that bastard Emerson, and Keith tells him he is suing Wakeman. The guy has this bizarre look as he withdraws, and when he is gone the two enjoy a good laugh.

They badly wanted to record something together but the managers and accountants always got in the way, and sadly it never will happen.

October '95, pg 46

KM occasionally published a listing of columns, artist interviews, etc every year or so. One of the best things I ever did was make photocopies of those listings and keep them in my file cabinet, where I can look up stuff quickly.

Great sleuthing - I didn't have the time to start looking through every Keith cover story.

So I've attached it. It's the first part of the story.... I didn't think he was going to share the other... but he told the story many times.

Jerry

937.thumb.jpg.b269954483b8beb2f8a939bc72d987e2.jpg

But wait... there's more!

I was mentioning this thread to my friend Jack Hotop and he told me about this wonderful item:

Go in around 31 minutes and there it is - Keith tells the story himself! Enjoy.

Jerry

Wow. Thanks!!