Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MacBook Pro USB hub

I recently bought a refurbished mid-2015 MacBook Pro. I want to have a USB mouse, a Focusrite 4i4, and a Samsung T5 SSD all plugged in. I ordered the hub linked below. Does anyone know what hub will work. I have 2 ports (side by side) that I thought were Thunderbolt - I thought this hub would work.

I waded into the Apple pond hoping it would be user friendly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3N99CG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The title says it all. It is for a newer iteration of MacBook Pro. They've changed quite a bit, as is common with all computers regardless of system. Those all run Thunderbolt 3 which uses a different socket and different protocol than Thunderbolt 2, which is what your 2015 MacBook Pro runs. So it is unlikely that it will work at all.

"Purgo USB C Hub Adapter for MacBook Air 2019/2018, MacBook Pro 2019/2018-16 with 4K HDMI, Thunderbolt 3, 100W PD, 2 USB 3.0 and SD/Micro Card Readers"

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro. It has the same connectors as yours does.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/macbook-pro-2015-vs-2014-2924525

"MacBook Pro 2015 vs 2014: Connections

The new MacBook Pro doesn"t have any new connections this year. The load-out is the same. 

You get two USB 3.0 ports and two high-speed Thunderbolt 2 ports. These are your main connectors, and there is also an SD card slot plus a full-size HDMI for easy connection to a monitor or TV. 

Like every MacBook there"s also a headphone jack and the Magsafe power socket. "

This should get you everythig you need. You can try to cancel your other order or just send it back for a refund.

https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-hb-um43-usb/p/N82E16817366063?Description=usb%203.0%20hub&cm_re=usb_3.0_hub-_-17-366-063-_-Product&quicklink=true

In general, Apple is friendly to the user and Apple users (like me) are also usually friendly.

I picked up a refurb last year becasue my 2008 Mac Pro was getting left behind. I got about 10 good years out of it though!!!

I got one iwth 16 gigs of ram and a new 51k SSD, it is fast. I like it.

Bear in mind you are running Thunderbolt 2. It is faster than USB 3.0. That said, the Focusrite unit you are getting is a great unit for a home/mobile studio rig.

The Focusrite uses the current USB C socket but most gear like that is still coming with a USB C to USB 3.0 adapter cord so you should be fine.

I HIGHLY recommend that you use the mouse in your choice of left or right side socket, just by itself. Plug the hub into the other socket with the Focusrite and the Samsung. Don't plug anything else in when you are recording. It's been better in my experience not to mix Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 when possible. I run cable internet, have adapters for T-bolt and USB and I disconnect my internet connection every time I record.

If you need a DAW, this is completely free and easy to learn. Worst case you can use it until you decide on a DAW. I've been using Tracktion/Waveform since version 3 and waiting for the Waveform 11 update to arrive.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

At this point in DAW World, everything is really good. It's more a matter of finding one you like and staying with it. Everybody is different.

I had MOTU Digital Performer and tried the long-gone free version of Pro Tools and didn't connect with them. I had fun with Tracktion the first time I used it so I stayed there. No regrets.

If I am forced to switch someday, I will.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks Kuru for for your advice. I just now ordered a couple of the USB 3 hubs. Also thanks for your commentary about the recent tech history of the MacBook connections etc. Unfortunately for me, I just want things to "work". I usually learn just enough about the technology to do what I want to do. My blind spots tend to remain. BTW, I printed your response to reread.

Thanks Kuru for for your advice. I just now ordered a couple of the USB 3 hubs. Also thanks for your commentary about the recent tech history of the MacBook connections etc. Unfortunately for me, I just want things to "work". I usually learn just enough about the technology to do what I want to do. My blind spots tend to remain. BTW, I printed your response to reread.

You are very welcome, Strays Dave!

I enjouy this forum because so many posters are helpful.

My turn...

FWIW, You can hook up a larger monitor for home use, the video card will support two screens. I picked up an LG 27" at Goodwill for $20 and it's working fine. There should be an HDMI socket on the right side of your laptop. Go to the Apple icon in the upper left of your laptop screen, second thing down on the pop-up screen is System Preferences. Second row, first column is "Displays", you can easily configure your dual monitor setup there.

I have mine setup so the Presonus Universal Control software opens on the large monitor but the screen for adjusting the Quantum fills the laptop screen when the Quantum is on. The DAW is on the larger screen.

Really nice for keeping things uncluttered.

Here is my post in the "Let's See Your Studios" thread, currently it is at the bottom of the thread - subject to change...

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3029755/lets-see-your-studios#Post3029755

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Unfortunately for me, I just want things to "work".
Ain't gonna happen as long as there's a computer involved. The pre-OS X Mac was a simpler experience, but that's changed over the years as people have expected more from their systems.

However, it does look like the USB-C connector is here to stay, and it also looks like Thunderbolt and USB 4 are going to merge in 2022. That should simplify interfacing in general. And, being able to charge through USB-C is a good thing - ideally, it would mean the end of having a zillion different incompatible AC adapters.

As far as simplifying connections, you can use most any Bluetooth wireless mouse with your Macbook Pro. My 2011 is using a left-over Dell BT mouse, and it works with no problem at all (does take a few seconds on boot before login to sync up). I also use an Apple BT keyboard with it, because the MBP normally sits on top of my primary Windows computer off to the side of a Samsung 32" HDTV, with one HDMI connector for the PC and the other for the Mac.

Really the MacOS and Windows OS are rather similar in functions - they just name everything differently and have slightly different ways to reach things. My company's specialty is "Making Apple and Microsoft PLAY NICE!" Files are accessible from whichever to whichever, the NAS storage unit works with both (and Linux); and I use whichever one works best for the task.

No DAW software seems to have a really quick and easy to learn interface. Logic Pro from Apple will do most anything you can do with any other, and sells for only $200 (MainStage is the performance part and sells for a mere $30). I personally like them better than any of the Windows DAW software I've tried (although I don't do a lot of recording, I do have a Focusrite 18i8 Audio/MIDI interface which works with either OS.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim