Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4 or Yamaha MODX8???

Hi guys,

I've been looking for another stage piano/synth to possibly replace my aging Casio PX5S. So far, I've seen vids for both boards and have been debating on which to grab. Thoughts, opinions appreciated :-)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tucktronic will you be using this for live gigs?

If so, I think the PC4 ... I have an SP6... the pianos are very different than Yamaha pianos... pretty good for Blues/ Blues based music and the EP's.

Also the performance controls are more straightforward on the PC4 I think.. and you get the added bonus of KB4 for smaller 1 tier gigs in a pinch!

the other sounds and orchestrals are very good and I think the keybed is better than the MODX8's ... a little firmer, a bit more solid... but that you will have to check out yourself of course.. SP6 has the same action basically!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

PC4 advantages:

* 4 engines: sample-based, FM, virtual analog, clonewheel organ (MODX has the first two)

* assignable additional outputs

* aftertouch

* better implementation of seamless switching

* more flexible MIDI implementation

* double the User sample memory

* 16 zone/part support (MODX is 8)

* full sequencer

* more polyphony

* more controller support (ribbon, 4 foot switches, though no superknob)

* hard button patch recall (though touchscreen also has advantages)

MODX advantages:

* touchscreen (also, screen is bigger)

* built-in USB computer interface

* endless encoders

Each has some sounds I prefer over the equivalents in the other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)