Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are ya'll working on right now?

I try to work on a set of licks or lick styles every month and get them up to whatever tempo I plan using them at in songs or improvs. I thought it might be fun to see what everyone else is doing too.

http://musicwithmarky.com/files/lickworksheet12-19.png

413.thumb.png.c851042783df5e3a5430da7e85706541.png

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never learned to read or write music. I am more or less an idiot savant who learns by osmosis. It works for me and I love not having a single thought in my head when I am really playing.

So I'm doing something else.

I've been working on my home studio. I have a variety of potential combinations/comparisons to make to optimize both signal flow and work flow.

I tried lots of things today and one piece of gear can now go to a happy new owner. I got great use out of an FMR RNP, the preamps in the Presonus Quantum sound better to me.

Focusrite ISA One is my new go-to for as many ways as I can use it. I've tested using the XLR Line Out to TRS Line In and also tried XLR to XLR which on the Quantum is mic in and I prefer going mic in.

Using the Focusrite as a sophisticated, multi function "Cloudlifter" worked really well, especially with the CAD D82 ribbon I recently picked up.

I've got an FMR RNP in the switchable input path if I need dynamics control.

So that's a big sonic upgrade for here and I am starting to know how to get the best out of it.

There is more in the works, lots more. I'll just keep at it! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've spent a lot of the past month digging into my Analog Synths, really. Other than that, I've been working on a couple of things that are still in the "sketchbook" stage.

When I'm working on something new, I try to follow David Torn's advice; "Always Be Looping." I find that a Looper makes a great Musical sketchbook, for capturing riffs and ideas. It also allows me to experiment with different approaches to the same idea, very quickly and easily. "How about if I try this Key, this Time Signature, or even playing the whole thing backwards?" If you ever have one of those "Satisfaction" moments in the middle of the night, a Looper might just save your soon-to-be-immortal riff before you drift back to sleep.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

A Big +1 on the Looper being a super tool Winston! I have mine in-line and using it to work on a few improvisation scale studies over 3 backing tracks that I posted in an earlier thread. I took them off of YouTube by plugging my laptop into my amp/pa then taking a line out to my looper and then back to my amp/pa. I leave the laptop out of line after putting the tracks on the looper and start getting creative while capturing whatever it is that I'm up to. Then into phase II all while practicing and playing and singing live capturing the good, the bad and the ugly:

I bought myself the Band in a Box software for Christmas and loaded it into my laptop. Haven't really learned how to fully use the software yet, but hacking my way through it I managed to load a jazz demo backing track into the laptop and back to the looper, etc. While listening to the bass, drums, piano and trumpet, I threw out some off the cuff lyrics and sang along with the demo chords. Came out pretty cool. As the mic is also plugged in. I wasn't ready to throw a guitar lead on it, but that's ready to go for next time around as I learn to use the software. My creative juices are flowing. I put the wrapped software box under the tree so I can look surprised when we open presents. But I kept the manual out so I could study on the sly and use the software as soon as it came in a week or two ago LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

As I said in other threads I am mostly trying to play half hour to an hour a day to harden my finger tips again. I been strumming through the songs the band I just joined plays (I am designated rhythm player) and doing a quick run through exercises in the Blues You Can Use book I studied a few years back. Stopping soon enough that fingers don't hurt. Jim

I never learned to read or write music. I am more or less an idiot savant who learns by osmosis. It works for me and I love not having a single thought in my head when I am really playing.

So I'm doing something else.

I've been working on my home studio. I have a variety of potential combinations/comparisons to make to optimize both signal flow and work flow.

I tried lots of things today and one piece of gear can now go to a happy new owner. I got great use out of an FMR RNP, the preamps in the Presonus Quantum sound better to me.

Focusrite ISA One is my new go-to for as many ways as I can use it. I've tested using the XLR Line Out to TRS Line In and also tried XLR to XLR which on the Quantum is mic in and I prefer going mic in.

Using the Focusrite as a sophisticated, multi function "Cloudlifter" worked really well, especially with the CAD D82 ribbon I recently picked up.

I've got an FMR RNP in the switchable input path if I need dynamics control.

So that's a big sonic upgrade for here and I am starting to know how to get the best out of it.

There is more in the works, lots more. I'll just keep at it! Cheers, Kuru

You have your hands full of fun stuff! Enjoy.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

I've spent a lot of the past month digging into my Analog Synths, really. Other than that, I've been working on a couple of things that are still in the "sketchbook" stage.

When I'm working on something new, I try to follow David Torn's advice; "Always Be Looping." I find that a Looper makes a great Musical sketchbook, for capturing riffs and ideas. It also allows me to experiment with different approaches to the same idea, very quickly and easily. "How about if I try this Key, this Time Signature, or even playing the whole thing backwards?" If you ever have one of those "Satisfaction" moments in the middle of the night, a Looper might just save your soon-to-be-immortal riff before you drift back to sleep.

Great truth on playing with a looper there!

As I said in other threads I am mostly trying to play half hour to an hour a day to harden my finger tips again. I been strumming through the songs the band I just joined plays (I am designated rhythm player) and doing a quick run through exercises in the Blues You Can Use book I studied a few years back. Stopping soon enough that fingers don't hurt. Jim

Keep at it, brother. Them callouses will soon be using the force. =]