Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Playable distorted piano test sound

Of the Kurzweil PC3 variation driven by the desire to improve the sounds quality from less numb and harmonically challenged, played over USB midi via Cubase from a CP4:

ncjazzpia_floydd2d_1.mp3 320kbps mp3 stereo, recorded straight from impedance balanced strip 13/14 from a MG16XU unit at 96kHz/24bits, very slightly "control" processed in Jack/jack-rack/ladspa (a normal gate, straight low pass filter above audio range, lookahead limiter with no signal change under limit point), recorded "live" via (Linux) ffmpeg in 44.1kS/s, float

It's clearly a test edit in my "killing out the non-sense" approach line, which gave me so many strange improvements and detail changes, it's mind boggling. I don't know how many of you have taken a quality piano or other sample, brought in the digital tooll boxes and effect units and tried to make that one wonderful sound out of existing sample sets, but the ones who have must be quite aware that changing the sound normally only goes so far. There isn't much processing software that can change your brand piano or actually, make a piano sample sound really good as a playable instrument.

This Kurzweil sound somehow works musically, and was recorded straight, you can test it out if you like:

su1669_ncpiafloyd2d.pc3 (single setup with an effect chain for AUX2 override, per setup master effect settings and the only somewhat (algorithmically) edited NYCJazz ROM piano program)

Let me know what happens if you load this in a new Kurz variation, I'd like to know. It's fun enough to try: nothing to my knowledge actually sounds much like a playable instrument out there, except the VPiano I suppose. Other sounds can be put in the same setup with effects, and if they're (slightly) edited as well, they too sound good, but there's a line in the AUX2 4 effect chains + the master eq + multi compressor, and my variations on that line start to converge once the strange "phaser" effect clearly hanging over this sound (with the distortion) is statically corrected. I have good hope based on a long line of edits this will be the case.

TV

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic