Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos FC-7 Weirdness

Anybody here use a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal with a Kronos?

At last rehearsal I was only getting the Kronos to transmit midi CC 7 values 58-127 (verified via Cantabile midi-monitor) instead of 0-127 with the FC-7. I grabbed a new FC-7 at Gearfest and replaced it, but was only getting 34-127 after the swap-out. I tested the new pedal in the NS2 and it transmitted 0-127 no problem.

In the course of testing I turned off the Kronos, reset the pedal to it's "full off" (all the way up) position, then started the Kronos. After that I was getting 0-127.

Is this something normal? Do I need to be sure the pedal is in off/up/zero position when powering up the Kronos? Or is there some other randomness going on?

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an FC-7 with the Kronos but have never seen that!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Also use FC7 with Kronos and no issues. One possible culprit: Karma? Is it possible it was turned on and accidentally started a GE that scales or modifies CC's?

I should note that I have mine globally set up for foot controller (CC#4), not CC#7

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I thought it was something mechanical or resistor (pot) related at first, but the A-B test with the Nord ruled that out, as did the Kronos restart.

I have not tried to recreate the issue, or tried the pedal-up -> power-on test more than once. I'll dig a bit further this evening.

~ v

Gear:

I've powered the Kronos with the pedal in various positions as well as plug it in both before and after powering up with no issues. May have just been some anomaly.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Do I assume correctly the Kronos isn't one that needs the FC7 rewire? (change tip and ring)?

If so, that is odd behavior. Whatever board I use my FC7 with, as long as it's proper tip and ring for said board, I get full sweep

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I woulda thought that too, J. Except it was happening (the limited midi range) at rehearsal, and happened last night when I fired up the rig in the man cave.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Do I assume correctly the Kronos isn't one that needs the FC7 rewire? (change tip and ring)?

If so, that is odd behavior. Whatever board I use my FC7 with, as long as it's proper tip and ring for said board, I get full sweep

I don't think so, Dave. I tested the tip/ring thing when I assembled the pedalboard, and wired in the new potentiometer the same. I kept the old assembly base and just swapped out the rocker and pot-box.

~ vonnor

Gear:

I use FC7s and EV5s.

Multiple too, as I have 8 x Continuous CC Controller outs.

On occasion I had an FC7 that wouldnt work so I just use an Ashby FX7II Adapter.

Never figured out why the same pedal worked 99% of the time.

Just know what made it work if the problem occurred.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I woulda thought that too, J. Except it was happening (the limited midi range) at rehearsal, and happened last night when I fired up the rig in the man cave.

~ vonnor

Your experience in not getting the full range of 0 to 127 from the FC7 mirrors mine with my Axiom controller, with or without Markyboards adaptor. I could never workout why, but I took it back and got a Hammond EXP 50. Long throw, 10k pot, works every time. In know the EE experts here say the pot value (50k in the FC7) should not make any difference but changing to another long throw pedal fixed the issue ending my interest in attempting solve another of life's little mysteries.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The behavior described in detail in the OP has not been reproducible, which is somewhat annoying. I tried powering up with the pedal at half-down position, but am now getting 0-127 like it should. The new (and the old - after reassembling it) FC-7 works fine in both the Kronos and the Nord.

So I guess it fixed itself. Will have to keep an eye on it maybe figure out a pattern.

@Markay: That sounds like what this was doing, but the fact that I can't get it to do it again makes it hard to figure out.

Thanks guys.

~ vonnor

Gear: