Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thomas Organ

Asking for a friend... he got this Thomas organ from his grandparents and is asking what model it is, if it's repairable and what it's worth?

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I clicked on the pictures I was going to say it's worthless. Now I'm not so sure. That's a fascinating critter. From the Thomas organ history page:

"The first Thomas organs had one manual and about ten stops.  These stops were dial controls and operated just like the volume control on a television set.  One model of this type was the Talking Organ and had a built-in phonograph, which used records for lessons and was called the Built-In Teacher.  These early models used a shared-generator system, which utilized one generator for every two adjacent notes.  Soon, this clumsy system was abandoned and Thomas went to master oscillators.  Two-manual and pedal models with a larger number of stop dials were introduced and the dials eventually gave way to conventional stops with a minimum of dials for less important functions, that is, vibrato depth and speed, pedal volume, repeat percussion speed and manual balance."

I wouldn't throw serious money into its repair, but someone may want it as a curiosity or as as a unique tone on a recording.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

My goodness, serviced electronic instruments for 25 years, and don't remember ever seeing a Thomas that old (though I have seen tube models). Primary value would be probably to antique collector or museum, although might get some unique sounds for recording (that would be hard to exactly duplicate if it quit working).

Thomas went out of business years before the time when most of the organ companies did, so a web search of early models is likely the only way to possibly get a model number, though the later ones always had a model and serial number somewhere on the back.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Just an FYI, a picture won't show up in a post unless it has a file extension of .jpg, .png, .gif, etc...

Good to know... I just tried editing the link and it didn't work. The original file has a *.jpg extension and I just used the shareable link option from Google Drive. I always seem to have issues with posting pics on this forum. What am I missing here?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Just an FYI, a picture won't show up in a post unless it has a file extension of .jpg, .png, .gif, etc...

Good to know... I just tried editing the link and it didn't work. The original file has a *.jpg extension and I just used the shareable link option from Google Drive. I always seem to have issues with posting pics on this forum. What am I missing here?

What you're missing...

What you're missing...

Still missing it apparently...

Here's the copied link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-yz3Wqif22cnL9q4az-LT9p5VIqi1rNk

I've tried it by itself, adding .jpg, using the 'Insert Image Link' button and pasting the link, using the 'Insert Image Link' button and pasting the link + adding .jpg. My apologies, I usually don't have technical issues like this.

Still missing it apparently...

Here's the copied link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-yz3Wqif22cnL9q4az-LT9p5VIqi1rNk

I've tried it by itself, adding .jpg, using the 'Insert Image Link' button and pasting the link, using the 'Insert Image Link' button and pasting the link + adding .jpg. My apologies, I usually don't have technical issues like this.

You cannot embed an image on this forum with a link like that. It doesn't actually contain the image name or path. It has an indirect id instead which the drive website converts to the actual file path. They (and some other websites) do that expressly for the purpose of preventing their images from being linked. Bastards.

Moe

---