Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital audio workstation up and running.

I was out in my shed office several months back (as I have said before on this forum) and installed Bandlabs Cakewalk on that computer which was primarily an office computer for estimating. Anyways once I installed all of my previous Cakewalk Sonar Producer apps from, XL with most of the intervening versions up to 8.5.3 and had it working smooth as silk, I tried to install Bandlabs version of Caklewalk and it took over the file associations and I could no longer open up the files in the previous versions. So I uninstalled Bandlab, and did a regedit on whatever I could find that had a Bandlab connection. From that time on I could not use the earlier Cake versions on that computer. So I installed all of those earlier versions up to 8.5.3 on an old XP loaded laptop and bought a cheapo interface for that setup, and that one works fine. But the office computer has all of the hardware that I use for recording in a 5 space rack right in the computer desk as well as my studio monitors. So I am hesitant to try any new ideas to completion on the XP laptop, and I decided to render the compositions to MIDI on the XP Laptop, and then take the files out to the office computer and render them to audio and do a mix down.

The whole point of this post is to say that I did a workaround by opening a new identity on the office computer and reinstalled Sonar 8.5.3 the latest one, and I put a project on that identity and viola it works. I tried that on the original identity and it would not work. I sorta snuck in the side door so to speak. So most of the stuff on identity one is not active on identity two. Identity one is a Microsoft account, and it logs onto their servers when I start that identity up. I did a local account for identity 2, and it does not log onto Microsoft so it boots faster, and probably has it's own registry or at least it's own part of the registry.

So now that I am up and running, the muse is beginning to speak to me. All I have to do is wire up the outboard gear and that will take me a half hour at most, then I am going to do a collage with some drum breaks between the different ideas and tempos of my half written songs, which are not complete in themselves, and I will call it Collage. Look for that in the coming months.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic