Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yousician or rocksmith 2014

heehee62

Which is better?

Want to get for my sister who's a brand new guitarist. Prefer to spend less money but not if it sacrifices learning.

She's got zero patience so she needs something that will keep her interested. She wants to be able to learn the songs well enough that she can play them without following the video game someday.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be better to get her a decent guitar teacher, as the human factor of a good teacher is absolutely inspiring.

Just my $.02. Others can pipe in as well, most of the folks here are very knowledgable. I have no idea about yousician or rocksmith 2014. whatever that may be. But the human touch by a knowledgable guitar teacher is by far and wide the best way to inspire someone who wants to learn.

It would be better to get her a decent guitar teacher, as the human factor of a good teacher is absolutely inspiring.

Just my $.02. Others can pipe in as well, most of the folks here are very knowledgable. I have no idea about yousician or rocksmith 2014. whatever that may be. But the human touch by a knowledgable guitar teacher is by far and wide the best way to inspire someone who wants to learn.

I agree w/DBM that studying with a qualifed teacher is optimal. However, that's a minimum of $40-50 per hour. Not everyone can afford that.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I like the way the fret board and notes go by on Yousician best, as that's the way I look at tab and charting. If I had to choose one I would go with Yousician. I suggest going on YouTube for comparisons of which there are many. If playing games gets her to play more, it will be a fun experience either way you go and it won't cost more that taking one or two lessons. If she keeps interested, then +1 on getting a teacher down the line...wishing her the best of luck! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'd add that while one can teach themselves to read notation, the most bital thing in learning music or an instrument is having at least one person to play with, wqhether teacher or just friend.

They provide a check on your actual learning.

For example, one can learn a lot alone but your actual sense of rhythm may fluctuate without you realizing it.

Also if a teacher iss taken (yeah, that's right, student takes teacher, NOT teacher s take students !), get one who's willing & able to get the student to play songs they like BUT STARTING WITH THE SIMPLEST, which may not be what the student wants at first.

Simple music best teaches rhythms, chord concepts & hamony / progressions.

One can always learn the difficult later but if you try too soon, it may take a longer time to go back & correct the simple things one skips.

d=halfnote

Decided on yousician based on your comments and the youtube videos.

My sister has actually tried multiple times to play the guitar but always quit and then forgotten the little she learned. She can't handle the old fashioned way of learning with just a teacher. I think the video game can keep her interested (she loved rock band). If money weren't an issue, she'd probably get a teacher too but as is, it's just for fun anyway so she'll probably live without one.

I'll play with her eventually though. I play the keyboard (and want to learn guitar too) so she can check her timing that way.

Thanks a lot guys!

Archived