Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Alesis QS8 repair/troubleshooting experts out there?

steadyb

Tonight my QS8's D2 key suddenly went dead. That is it was working perfectly until halfway through a session tonight when the key stopped transmitting MIDI. I plugged in some headphones to see it the internal sounds would still play, but they did not either. Silence from just that one key.

Before I decide to open it up or take it in to a repair place, I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience or has an opinion as to what it could be.

Is it better that both the MIDI and internal isn't working? Does that make it more likely that it's just possibly a connection that's been lost, or some other physical disconnect?

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there to you guys and maybe get lucky that one of you has already dealt with this same issue.

Thanks, B.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an expert. I owned a QS7 for years, which had a different keyboard action than your QS8.

The good news is that your problem is not related to the electronics. Repair should be simple- the D2 switch contact isn't working. Beyond that, I can't give you advice.

If you have any mechanical skills, this should be an easy fix. I was very impressed when I tore apart my QS7 to replace the LCD. Very nicely built.

I found this with a quick Google :

www.midiworld.com/quadrasynth/qs.../Alesis-QS-Service-Manual.pdf‎

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

No advice specifically on the QS, but I've had similar issues with other keyboards. The fact that it's only one key and that it affects both internal and MIDI means it's most likely the contact. You will likely find a circuit board with traces that meet in close proximity under rubber boot-like "switches". The boots depress onto the circuit traces. In the case of my JV-30 long, long ago, it was a matter of removing the rubber boot of the offending key and using a Q-Tip and alcohol to clean the area, replace the boot, and voila.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Silence from just that one key.

If you've checked all other keys then yeah- should be simple. If there are other keys not working then you may have lost a channel on your scanner.

Yep, just the one key. I was mapping some samples across a key range, all was working just fine, and then as I was running through the song that key didn't play. At first I thought maybe I had deleted the sample assigned to that specific key, or maybe inadvertently moved the assignment to a different key, so that's when I grabbed some headphones to see if the internal sounds were or were not playing. They were not, from that one key.

Archived