Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a recc for an iPhone chart display app

Reezekeys

Yes I know this has been discussed here and I have searched. I think Set List Maker might work for me but I'm not sure. None of the descriptions I've read for the various programs have addressed my specific needs, which are:

I have hand-written charts that I've scanned and converted to PDF files. The band I'm with could come up with a different set list for each show. I need to quickly set an order of songs and have the PDFs available quickly in that order. This might happen minutes before we go on.

During the show, the leader might decide to change the order or add a song not on the set list for that night. I need to be ready for that possibility and able to quickly access a chart that's not in the set list.

I don't need any other fancy features. Just quick ordering and re-ordering of PDF files. I expect that due to the small size of the iPhone screen I will need to scroll the page during the song. That's OK; if the entire page was displayed on the screen it would be way too small for me to see.

TIA for anyone who can confirm that Set List Maker can do all this, or whether there are other apps I should consider. The shows I've been playing with this band are outdoors and my paper charts have been blowin' in the wind! :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Set List Maker will do what you need. The recall of a song that isn't in the list may take some seconds because it can take a number of clicks to get from one screen to another depending on where you are and where you're trying to get to, but nothing unmanageable. I've only used it on an iPad, though, so I can't comment on the readability/scrolling aspect of the small screen. Since your originals are hand-written anyway, you might find an optimum way to format your handwritten notes to maximize small screen efficiency. One issue, though, is that you said a lot of your gigs are outdoors... if they are daytime gigs, you need to be aware that sometimes the i-device screens can be hard to read in sunlight. It would be a nice use for a Kindle e-ink device, if only they had a decent way to manage such a library of user PDFs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think about the daytime gig thing, thanks for pointing that out. That might be a problem but I'm working to get off these charts as soon as possible so I don't anticipate needing this app too much. I think this weekend we start around 8:30 or 9PM so I should be OK.

I use forScore and I love it. Easy to rearrange pdf's, easy to annotate them (highlight and markup) and also easy to tie a song from your iTunes collection to the score. Great for practice sessions as you have every song tied to the sheet.

Easy to swipe song to song.

The only downside is I currently don't know how to ERASE songs from the app itself, but given you can just take a score off of any song list, it's a minimal problem. I just have 80 old songs on there that I just don't assign to anything.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Archived