Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

vocalist needs advice... rompler or not rompler?

davide rep

I really need some advice from you guys.... I'm not a synth player and actually I am not that interested in making my own sounds, twisting and twiddling knobs or even worse menu diving bla bla bla . I' m basically a singer who needs a tiny portable keyboard (3 or 4 octaves maximum) to bring next to me on stage to play the odd lead synth, nice fat 80s pads (New Order, Human League), nice lushy synthetic or orchestral strings, patches like marimba or xylophone and also a decent organ and decent piano and electric piano (I would be fully satisfied with just "decent", not looking for the real thing of course) . Preset sounds are totally fine.

i know that those huge synths / workstations would be fine but , like I said, I want something practical and portable next to me front stage while Im singing . do I need a rompler? I tried the Juno D and I quite like the sounds, it's eclectic and gives you a little bit of everything at a decent quality. but it felt super light, like a toy, and the keys didnt respond well , it felt weird playing on it. I think I need something like that but a bit more sturdy and overall better quality I guess.

ehm, two more things: a) I am totally up for searching in the used market, as my budget is 300-400 euro b) I dont want a computer and master kybd on stage, although I know that would solve my problems...

am I asking for too much? I know I might be difficult but I prefer to be detailed about my needs, there is always time to compromise....

thank you guys for all your help!

Dave

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would check out the Roland VR-09, out next month. I would not worry if the keyboard is too light, lightness has little to do with the quality of the sound. Actually for gigging, the lighter the better concerning transportation.

Yeah, for "3 or 4 octaves maximum," the MX49 may be the only game in town. Most other sub-5-octave keyboards are traditional synths rather than romplers and won't provide the range of sounds you're talking about. And the MX should cover all that stuff fine.

If you do expand the search to 5 octaves like that Juno, since your main disappointment there was with the feel of the keys, you might look at a Casio XW-P1, which I think has a particularly nice action for a low cost board. Yamaha has better "natural" sounds, but the Casio may have the edge in "synthy" and you are looking at a mix of the two, so it's possible you might find either acceptable. (Though one of the other advantages of the Casio is in its sound creation and "tweakability" which does not really interest you.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would check out the Roland VR-09,

That is double his budget.

Oh, me and recalculating euros to dollars... But for that budget then, I would look for used units, plenty of good Romplers or non-romplers that go under the radar and are pretty good such as various low-end Motifs.

MX-49 definitely! It's slightly above your budget, but it's also the one keyboard I can think of that will do what you want at this low price. Sure there are used keyboards, but few romplers have less than 61 keys.

http://www.thomann.de/it/yamaha_mx49.htm

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived