Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KEYBOARD CHALLENGES!

Hi everyone,

Due to a number of factors, we had to postpone the Keyboard Challenge for a month. But never fear... it's back, with a friend:)

Below are the Keyboard Challenges from our February and March issues. The top answer for each question, as chosen by the Keyboard editors, will appear in print in the May issue of Keyboard. Please post your answers to both questions here.

Question 1: IMAGINE YOU CAN GET THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE KEYBOARD LUMINARIES, LIVING OR DEAD, TOGETHER IN THE RECORDING STUDIO. WHO ARE YOUR STARS, WHAT'S THEIR COLLECTIVE NEW ALBUM CALLED, AND WHAT DOES THE MUSIC SOUND LIKE?

Question 2: MILES DAVIS KIND OF BLUE, FEATURED IN THE MARCH ISSUE OF KEYBOARD, WAS A HUGELY INFLUENTIAL AND TRANSFORMATIVE ALBUM WHEN IT WAS RELEASED IN 1959. IS THERE A KIND OF BLUE FOR THE 2000s?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael Gallant, Associate Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard magazine than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question 2: Piano Possibile by Carlo Mezzanotte Jazz Trio (it's literally sitting on my desk with my CD of Kind of Blue right now)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Question 1: I started by gravitating toword my favorites- Wakeman, Emerson & Banks... and then I thought, "that'd be a noisy, self indulgent mess". So then I thought, who would be an interesting combo?

Suzanne Ciani, Billy Preston & Bentmont Tench. Ciani sets up beautiful trance-like pads, sweeps, loops & other wonderful sonic backdrops, Bentmont subtly supports with Wurly & Piano, and Billy lights up the groove on B-3 & clav. The album is called "Chillin' with the Flame".

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

One of my own to add for #1 (not in the running to be printed in the mag...)

McCoy Tyner, Trent Reznor, and Jon Medeski playing seething, explosively percussive experimental grooves. The album would simply be called "Burn."

Michael Gallant, Associate Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard magazine than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Question 2: Piano Possibile by Carlo Mezzanotte Jazz Trio (it's literally sitting on my desk with my CD of Kind of Blue right now)

:blush: :blush:

Thanks a lot Joe... um, are you sure you haven't had one too many tonight... :freak::D

:blush: :blush:

Suzanne Ciani, Billy Preston & Bentmont Tench. Ciani sets up beautiful trance-like pads, sweeps, loops & other wonderful sonic backdrops, Bentmont subtly supports with Wurly & Piano, and Billy lights up the groove on B-3 & clav. The album is called "Chillin' with the Flame".

I'd buy that album for sure. :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1 - Beethoven, Bach and BT. Beethoven writing most of the melodies, Bach handling voicing, and BT adding pads, drum loops, and giving it a modern mix. The album would be called Dangerous Notation. It would be fast and slow electronic music with piano and workstation sounds. The main track would be Arpeggiate This, a song in which Bachs carefully crafted notes makes computer generated arpeggios sound, well, like stale computer generated arpeggios.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived