Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using the Electro as a sound module AND lower manual

SMcD

I like the sounds and options provided by the Nord Electro (Clavi, onboard effects, etc.) but I don't want to miss out on the physical drawbars provided by Hammond. Is it possibe to:

1)Connect the XK-3's MIDI OUT to the Electro's MIDI IN, so that the Hammond is controlling the Electro

2)Connect the Electro's MIDI OUT to the Lower Manual MIDI IN on the Hammond, so that the Electro is also being used as a lower manual.

Is a setup like this possible? If not, how could I change it to make it that way?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The XK-3 uses the Hammond drawbar control method - CC's 80 - 82 for upper, lower and pedals with each drawbar listening for data in ranges of nine, for example, the upper 16' is controlled by CC# 80 data 0 - 8, the 5 1/3 is controlled by CC# 80 data 9 - 17 and so on. I don't believe the Nord can use that method.

You could use the Electro as a lower manual, but if you have both instrument's MIDI outs connected to the other's MIDI in, you might also create a MIDI loop.

When a signal such as a "note on" goes from one instrument to the other and from that one back to the original and then out the original again and on and on. It plays the note in each instrument each time and can cause notes to stick on.

I looked at using my Voce V5 to control my Electro when I got it. It won't work (as I found out). An example: The 16' drawbar on the Voce uses CC#12. On the Electro it's CC#16. What I would need is a device inserted between my Voce and Electro called an event processor made by Midi Solutions. You have to program it to re-map the CC data so one instrument can talk to the other. I'm giving it a little time to see if I can get comfotable with the Electro's 'drawbars' before I go that route.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Archived