Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear question/harmonica mic gizmo/Blues Traveler

My dad says John Popper plays like a fireman losing control of the hose but I kinda like 'em...anyhow I recently saw them on a taped performance. Popper's harmonica mic was directly connected ([i]before[/i] the cable) to some device I've never seen----in fact you [i]couldn't[/i] see it---it was completely wrapped with tape or plastic. [b]All I could tell was that it was roughly the size of a stomp box, though obviously designed differently. There were three or four button/switches that extended upward (toward the mic) & what appeared to be a knobbed lever/toggle on the front[/b]. Although manipulated by Popper, the device's effect couldn't be perceived. Attempts to find out from the band's website have yielded no response. Anyone here ever work with them or have any idea what this device is?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have read somewhere that he uses a SM57 that is in some kind of housing that is taped to the ball of the mic. I also read that he plays through a couple of different amps, so maybe what you saw was a channel switcher of some sort. As the Duke said to Mozart: "It's good, but it has too many notes."

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Possibly, Jotown, although there were [i]several[/i] different switches (at least 3 or 4)... along with that lever. That seems like more than just a switcher, doesn't it? Anyone else?

Archived