Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK1 lower manual velocity offset problem

Hello

I have a question with my old Hammond SK1 I want to hook up a Doepfer D3M Midi Keyboard with 61 keys as a lower manual and have the problem that then its velocity is much too high.

I found out that controls>velocity offset does only change the velocity of the upper manual (sk1 keyboard), but not at all the velocity behaviour of the second manual.

Do you know how I can change the velocity of my second manual?

By reading the manual I could imagine that it has got to do something with the external zone configuration but it does not change anything by what i tried there so far?

You would help me so much, please help me if you can!!

Best regards, BB

Hammond SK1, Doepfer D3m, Hohner ORT-100, Roland SA-300

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Manual of the SK1 there is this:

KEYBOARD

⤠ VELOCITY OFFSET (S)

Fine-adjusts the keyboard velocity to personal taste. the setting range is -32 to +32. If

your touch is heavy, set this parameter to a negative value, if your touch is light, set the

parameter to a positive value.

⤡ SOUNDING POINT (S)

Set the sounding point if the internal keyboard is played.

DEEP All the section sounds on the deep point in the stroke.

AUTO The Organ section sounds on the shallow point if the [ALLOCATE] of the Extra Voice section is

OFF.

NOTE: The External Zone notes on at shallow point, and the velocity value is fi xed at 100 when

the Sounding Point is set at AUTO, and the [ALLOCATE] is OFF.

That last part was getting me to think if something is blocked that way?

For the external zones configuration the manual has this:

⤠NOTE - VELOCITY

Sets the character of the velocity to send to this zone.

Th e setting range is OF and 1 to 4. At OF, the velocity is fi xed

at 100. Th e 'touch' (velocity response) of the keyboard progresses from 1 (heavier) through 4 (lighter).

But how do i even get this external zone to affect my lower manual? The midi channel of my lower manual is set to "1".

External zone is for when you want the internal keys to play an external sound, not when you want to use external keys to play an internal sound

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for pointing that out, that leaves me with no clue, why the external keyboard does not react at all to changes of the velocity offset parameter. Can somebody try on his/her Sk1 if a second keyboard reacts to this parameter? then maybe we could compare configurations?

Thanks for pointing that out, that leaves me with no clue, why the external keyboard does not react at all to changes of the velocity offset parameter

I don't think it is uncommon that velocity curve and related settings affect the internal keys only. Most controllers have their own velocity settings that affect their MIDI Out. There are boards that can apply a velocity curve/manipulation to an incoming MIDI signal, but it may even be the exception rather than the rule. But you can also do this manipulation with an external box, e.g. MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter, or a computer. (Maybe an iOS app?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)