Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Will the real Bob Moog please stand up?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I learned the correct pronunciation of Moog in this forum... when I originally joined way back. Most of my fellow musicians here still say the 'oo' as in food.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Every time the bell sounded (just like the doorbell sound in a previous house) my dog went nuts. 'Dad, you don"t understand. There might be a FedEx truck coming to get us!'

My little brother slept right through it:

8iEHN3l.jpg

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I give credit to the other two guys for supplying reasonable-sounding answers. How do they know what kinds of questions they might be asked, about early synthesis, electronic music, various players of the instrument, union approval of the instrument and players, etc.? I wouldn't have even thought to ask those questions, much less be able to answer them.

I still swear I once saw an interview with Bob Moog where he said that his wife was a schoolteacher and because all the kids made fun of her name, Moooooooooooog, they changed the pronunciation to "Mogue". Maybe I dreamt it. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Years ago I worked opposite a Welsh colleague who explained to me that Moog was a Welsh word meaning "pig", and pronounced "Moch" (like Scottish Loch).

Cheers, Mike.

Apparently, the name is most common in the Western part of Germany and the adjacent part of France.

One etymology I"ve found is old German âmaag' for âblood relation'.

That would put its original pronunciation somewhere between 'Mogue' and 'Mawg'.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio