Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ska Anyone?

guitarisawayoflife21

I wanted to know if many guitar players like ska. I personally love it. It can be simple, it can be complex, and it always has a feel-good party groove to it. I also think the brass sections that are usually associated with ska adds dimension and groove to the songs. My favorites are bands like Mustard Plug, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, and The Skatalites. What are your thoughts on ska and do you know any other good ska bands?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a bass student that's into it pretty heavy, the bass is usually really good in this music. One of his favorite bands at the moment is a Canadian outfit called "The Planet Smashers". I used to have some albums by "The Selecter" and of course "Madness". More recently, "NOFX" did a cool ska version of "The Pink Panther Theme".

Jim

first wave's cool. I enjoy it when I hear it, but I don't buy records of it.

Second and third wave... eh... it's not my bag.

You totally need to check out Rocket From the Crypt if you haven't already. They're definitely NOT ska, but a greaser-punk band with a horn "section" (trumpet & trombone). Unfortunately, they called it quits last Halloween, so don't count on seeing them live.

Originally posted by Virtual Jim:

You totally need to check out Rocket From the Crypt if you haven't already. They're definitely NOT ska, but a greaser-punk band with a horn "section" (trumpet & trombone). Unfortunately, they called it quits last Halloween, so don't count on seeing them live.

rocket from the crypt was an amazing band. the only reason i didnt include them in the bands i mentioned before is because, as you said, they arent a "ska" band, even though they kinda fit the profile.

I think ska is pretty ef-ing cool. Not big into actually playing it, but a lot of fun to listen to. One band I like is The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, got some great songs, and had a hit with "The impression that i get". Also some of the old No Doubt stuff is good, and pretty ska, basically the Tragic Kingdom record.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

I come from a funk background, SKA is a progression, check out Selecter, Madness (must be searly stuff) , Special AKA etc etc, SKA was huge in UK in the 80's people then were ignorant to the message of Bob Marley etc, liked the vibe but not the lyrics, in UK SKA became associated with racism and a tool for the "white boys" rightly high-jacked by mainstream bands and the cream rose to the top.

Best regards

Chris

I first heard American Ska Stylings in the early/mid eighties by a band called the Untouchables and then Fishbone.

A band I was in would do funk/ska arrangements of covers like Beatles tunes (DriveMy car)

It is an indirect influence of mine

Love those bass lines. I'd rather be a bassist in a ska group than a chord wanker.

Archived