Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup Configs for Twin Hum Guitars

janalon

I own an Ibanez Artcore AS73. I've considered experimenting with new PU's to see how much closer I can get to that tone I've envisioned. I have to say, the Seymore / Duncan page has the best documentation on their products.

I'm wondering about the applications of P90's. Could anyone explain why they would prefer to have a P90 over a typical Hum, and when it would be applicable to set them in the neck, or when to set one in the bridge.

Thanks!

Joe

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P90s are not humbuckers. They are really fat single coils, and their design precedes humbuckers. They are known for a darker, fatter sound than a Strat or Tele. They are the favorite choice of many Gibson players, among others. I would use them as a pair, rather than have a differing pickup in the same guitar. The tonal palette of the P90 is yet another justification for owning multiple guitars. It doesn't cover all the bases, yet no other pickup offers its distinctive warm single coil growl.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Lipsticks have a thinner sound due to a much thinner magnetic reading of the string. Danelectro has brought them back into vogue. They were a staple of surf music guitarists once.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Lipsticks have a thinner sound due to a much thinner magnetic reading of the string.

Uhmmm... ok, fari enough. I've heard that they have a richer bottom end than normal (strat style) single coils, but I have nothing which which to do an A/B test.

Danelectro has brought them back into vogue.

:) Danelectro invented them. :thu:

They were a staple of surf music guitarists once.

yeah, I've heard that too. There's the Charvel Surfmaster and so on, but I've never noticed people in early surf band pictures playing lipsticked guitars. Dick Dale was a big fan of strats but beside him..?

D'you (or anyone else) know of any recorded examples of surf guitarists using them? (besides the non-surf "Sounds Of Silence")

I'm asking because I've got two guitars with lipsticks but I wouldn't mind knowing what they're SUPPOSED to sound like! :)

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I've heard that they have a richer bottom end than normal (strat style) single coils, but I have nothing which which to do an A/B test.

it's more like they have a bigger low-mid than genuine low end emphasis. Love them in the bridge position, can live with them in neck position, don't like them by themselves in the middle position.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

it's more like they have a bigger low-mid than genuine low end emphasis. Love them in the bridge position, can live with them in neck position...

Great thanks! :D

Sorry about hijacking the thread. We will now proceed with the scheduled programming... ;)

Kramer said,
Sorry about hijacking the thread. We will now proceed with the scheduled programming...
... P-90's ... I love 'em :love: I think they sound like a Humbucker (big, bold, etc.) .... only better :thu:
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I picked up a Gibson SG with P90s on it over the weekend. I think it sounds great. I've tried playing Mississippi Queen on my Les Pauls and on my ES-335, my Strat and my Tele but it just doesn't sound right.

When I plugged in that SG last night, I knew I had the right tone. Man, what a growl!!

Sometimes, you just have to have the right tool for the job. IMHO, nothing sounds like a P90 except another P90.

I can't really see any virtue in mixing a P90 with something else, though.

I think Picker just bought an Agile Les Paul style with three P90s in it. He seems to be one of the more ardent admirers of the P90 here.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Vince, I know Danelectro invented them,

Yeah, that probably sounded all wrong. Sorry about that.
Not all wrong - maybe the hype about the Charvel Surfcaster got me thinkin' they were big in surf music. Dunno, don't remember. :rolleyes:

Archived