Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Developing your ears

pauldil

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the read. Ear training is so important. I used to cut lawns for a living and I loved it. I walked all day with the hum of the mower as a constant pitch. I would hum intervals all day. I think I learned more about singing harmonies because of that mower than anything else. lol. I was albe to generate a lot of ideas and did a lot of "editing/arranging" too. Music and songwriting away from your instrument provides an interesting perspective.

My guitar playing buddies and I used to play a game. Someone would play a chord and you had to guess what type it was. Major, minor, Seventh and so on. It really helped us to quickly recognize those sounds. I know that it wouldn't help you away from the guitar but it was a good tool for us as beginners.

What surprised me is that the coloration of a guitar is much easier for me to hear since I am so familiar with it. Intervals on other instruments or computer generated tones take a bit of practice to recognize. I have heard that people with perfect pitch hear alost like most of us see colors and thats how they recognize pitch. I could always use more practice learning the sounds, usually learning songs by ear keeps the skill up.

I have the demo of Band in a Box and it had a neat ear training window. Notes, intervals, and chords.

Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry book is helping me out a little bit too as I've been doing some experimenting with playing some major and minor triads all across the fretboard.

Archived