Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I have a Line 6 Spider II...

mash

It's only a 15W, and though I regret not getting the 30W, I didnt have the cash at the time.

Anyway, before I joined any guitar forums or anything, I trusted just about anything a Guitar Center employee threw at me, thinking if they work at a guitar center, they must know a lot about guitars. I went and they suggested the Spider II, so I got it.

Now that I've visted some forums, I've heard some bad things about the Spider II. I think the effects on it are ok, and though it was expensive compared to the other 15W amps, I bought it because I didn't want to have to buy a pedal on top of an amp, haveing to spend more the the $160 I paid for the Spider II.

Of course, I hadn't been thinking of the fact that I would want to switch channels without stopping and pressing the button. So I looked up some footwswitches, and the one made for Line 6 amps (2 button) is $30. Not bad compared to a $100 pedal.

Now for the question. Should I spend the money on a footswitch, and later a wah pedal or other effects board, or should I sell the spider and buy a new amp completely? If so, what amps do you suggest? I dont do any huge gigs or anything that would require over 15-30W, but of course, bigger is usually better :P .

Thanks ina dvance for any input y'all have.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well first of all I think you made a good decision buying the Spider! its just like everybody else..we outgrow our initial buys. NOW..you are ready to move on but dont sell the Spider ..everybody NEEDS a small nice sounding practice amp!!! and you will keep it forever im sure ..NEXT..I suggest you invest in a Tweed style reissue Fender something... 40 or so watts great tone and then you will be all set for anything. :thu:

Yeah, the Spider doesnt have very impressive clean tones. The one thing that I dislike about it is for Clean, echo is set on default, so whenever you switch back to clean, even if you didnt turn the amp off, it has echo on. Very annoying.

However, I really like the distortion tones, the metal/insane modes sound almost just like a lot of metallica stuff. When I heard bad things about it, I figured it was because all I had to compare to was a peavey practice amp that stopped working.

Any suggestions on a pedal I could get for some good clean tones? It's hard for me to get $, so just getting a pedal would be more in range than buying a whole new amp.

mash,

I have the Spider II as well. Just like you, I'm annoyed at the default settings when you turn it on. However, you can change your default settings. Look at the instruction booklet.

Also, like you, I'm not too crazy about the clean tone. It's ok but not great.

For a practice amp, it suits my needs.

As far as channel switching pedals offered by Line 6, I'll pass. Like I said, it's just a practice amp for me.

Wow..im not aware of a peddle that will give you a good clean tone if the amp itself does not have one? because no matter what the peddle is doing it is still just a preamp of a kind ahead of the amp??? The way I look at it is distortion is fine but the amp must have a clean tone! I could not work with an amp that only had a distortion tone??

I've got a Spider II 210, and I'mm off to the showband rehearsal with it.

I prefer my SF Twin Reverb, but the Spider is lighter and built like a tank. The Fender weighs like a tank.

I've found 4 useful sounds, and they are now in the A,B,C and D presets. The 12 models available by turning the model knob are great starting points, but none of the 12 are right for me.

The Spider II series is waaaaaaay cheaper and better than anything that was available in the 80's.

I, for one, like the clean tones I've set on it.

The amp isn't a one amp fits all amp, but it's a great place to start without breaking either your back or your bank account.

The Flextones probably sound better, but they are freaking loud, and just too damn big to be convenient for me.

The Vox modleing amps are well regarded by those who accept modelling amps as a viable product. YMMV.

I think a Polytone is in my future.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

KPB..ya I do actually.. its not my main amp the Marshall is but I have the Line6 Flextone with 2X12 inch Black Widows in it..very powerful and a great modeling amp! its this one: here seen in my Car!!! Im gonna send the pictures big so you can see the control panel and all the modeling and effects settings... :D:thu:

Originally posted by KPB:

Lee,

Do you have any of the bigger Line 6 amps? If so, is it any good?

When it comes time to get a "real amp", I just don't know if I could ever bring myself to get a solid state one so a Line 6 would probably be out.

KPB..THERE YOU GO...lots of modeling going on there .. Ill tell ya I am a big tube amp fan for sure but this old FlexTone is very cool in its own way too.. I use it for smaller gigs and for back up amp and I also use in stereo with the Marshall rig lots of times! but man is it loud has tons of built in sends and returns .our sound guy just loves this amp!! has a great line out built into it ..studio settings and lots of very nice models!! If you see a great deal on one of these you might think about it? in one way or another I use it all the time. Oh an pictured there is the remote foot controller its GREAT complete and total control from the floor!!! logical setup and very easy to use on stage too.

WOW the KPB..got some hidden agenda HUH!!!tee hee hee!!!(said with sly sneeky beadey little eyes..kinda chinese looking) :thu: wow thats GREAT man!!! well anything I can go to help ya ...let me know! you planning on doing Classic Rock or what? its good stuff... evan the rehearsals are a riot!!! If you can TRY to start out with a keyboard player in the group!! and be the only guitar player..there are SO many more songs you can do with them..especially with the keyboard guys equipment nowdays!! :D

Originally posted by ellwood:

WOW the KPB..got some hidden agenda HUH!!!tee hee hee!!!(said with sly sneeky beadey little eyes..kinda chinese looking) :thu: wow thats GREAT man!!! well anything I can go to help ya ...let me know! you planning on doing Classic Rock or what? its good stuff... evan the rehearsals are a riot!!! If you can TRY to start out with a keyboard player in the group!! and be the only guitar player..there are SO many more songs you can do with them..especially with the keyboard guys equipment nowdays!! :D

Hopefully, the wife will just say: Hey! You're good... go gig...

But, I've been doing a 3rd intervallic C Dorian mode run for the last hour and am about to drive her nuts. Maybe I should switch to a 4th interval run?

Thanks for the advice and the offer for help. I've been reading the band/gig related forums (you're represented there quite a bit) for some info.

What do I want to play? That's a toughie. The best thing I can do is to check out some live acts around here. Maybe I'll take the train to Greenwich Village a few times and check things out.

I wonder if NY would want to hear some Stormtroopin' or Motor City Madhouse?

Well first thing USE HEADPHONES so she cant hear you!! :rolleyes: and of coarse NY would love anyting from MOTown Im sure :thu::D ...well for a start if your gonna do Classic rock material..why dont ya check our song list on our website! just to get some ideas..are you going to start your own thing or try to join an existing band?

Well I guess I could chime in on this subject, because I have had Three line 6 products in a row. The first Line 6 product I had was what you just saw a picture of in this thread...that is a line 6 Flextone II (I had the flextone II XL which has 2x12s in the cabinet- the regular flextone II has 1x12 if I am not mistaken)

They are the line 6 "middle of the road amp" (the spider series being the lowest and the vetta series being the highest) The flex II's are GREAT amps! You can get them for a steal on ebay,but they do not make them anymore new.

The next line 6 product I owned was I sold my flex II and got a newer flex III model....this is also a great amp. (One thing the flex III had over the flex II, is that it had a master control knob that you could use to adjust your amp volume and it does NOT affect the amp volume signal sent out to a PA in any way. Great for needing to hear yourself onstage while keeping the soundman happy with your level through the PA!)

Then I recently had something happen to my Flex III and had to have it repaired, but the line 6 factory was moving to another location so it was a few weeks before the people that worked on it were able to get it fixed. So in that time, I went ahead and bought a Line 6 Vetta II which is considered their flagship amp. (also the most expensive. I bought it for about $1,600 with tax at a local music store) I simply LOVE this amp!

This is what I have needed the whole time I have been playing guitar, because I use effects. Before I had a line 6 amp, sometimes the "daisy chain" of effects pedals that I would have hooked up to other amps would give a hiss or hum through the PA. I have not had that problem with everything being built into the amp. Also the vetta series has a "two amps at once feature" where you can mix and match different modeled amps with each other. Like a fender deluxe reverb on one channel and a marshall on the other.

Basically, the line 6 products are great if you are in a cover band or any band that needs a lot of different sounds for different styles of music. If you are just doing blues, jazz, hard rock or whatever, then you may want to get a single tube amp suited to that particular style. But the line 6 products like the flextone series are GREAT amps! And you can get them for good prices on ebay used.

You can downsize those, you know. ;)

If you post them using Imageshack you can post a thumbnail link here and anyone can open it outside the thread. Imageshack formats the code so you can cut an entire address, including the tags. A year after the last time a pic is accessed they'll automatically erase it. Or, you can register and keep track of your online photos. The best part is it's free and always accessible online. :thu:

I use Imageshack a lot.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

well for a start if your gonna do Classic rock material..why dont ya check our song list on our website! just to get some ideas..are you going to start your own thing or try to join an existing band?

I will indeed check out the list.

I'll probably try to join some existing band. But... I figure I've got about 6 months in the woodshed then I should be ready to think about bands more seriously.

More and more tunes are coming back to me everyday though.

Here's an example. Don't forget to Clonk it!

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/6325/amps0166ip.th.jpg

Look familiar? :D

It even downsized your pic (slightly) when I clicked the link, with a simple click to show the original size.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ya for sure KPB!! it wont take long either and you will be a major force to be delt with in your local giggin area!!! :D:thu: and WHY you might ask do I say that.............Because you have MOTown soul in your soul and your area is in for a sonic treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool::thu:

Lee, you're one cool dude. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm sure we'll meet one of these days.

It's great to be jamming again, even if it's just at home. I feel like a long time amputee who miraculously grew an arm back.

Let me tell ya something that a bass player that I know finally started being able to play again..(a really great player) named Mike Jackson..you might have heard of him (Flaming Embers)who is now passed on said to me once after he had broken his left arm in a motorcycle accident and had tons of surgery on it... he said "Lee, man its like not being able to take a piss for ten years!) ya alittle off color but that was Mikes way..you get the logic though!

Hey Ell, just by uploading to imageshack they created the thumb and the coding. All I had to do is cut and paste the appropriate code into the reply box. ;)

Had I been less lazy, I'd have cropped it to the controls and left your mini-van seats out of it! :D

Or maybe I'd have found a pic online. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hey Ell, just by uploading to imageshack they created the thumb and the coding. All I had to do is cut and paste the appropriate code into the reply box. ;)

Had I been less lazy, I'd have cropped it to the controls and left your mini-van seats out of it! :D

Or maybe I'd have found a pic online. ;)

Yep Neil...Im gonna try that idea I like the thumbnail idea! ya I looked on the web for a picture of the controls on the old Flextone2 but could only find the newer models? Hay by the way did you see I found a picture of the Renown 2

x12 finally! I forget which post that was now?

Mash

I bought the Line6 Flextone 2 60 watt 1x12 about two years ago. I love the amp modelling on it but found I mostly use the Tweed Blues sound. Also, it is not as robust as I would like, for instance, if I wind it up during a gig, the teble pot adjuts itself because of the vibration.

I would thoroughly recommend the bigger Line6, but If you have found yourself sticking with one or two sounds on the Spider, then you should maybe consider something that gives you just a few variations on a sound you like, eg a clean and overdrive channel with presence, maybe one of the Marshall Valvestate range.

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.

Archived