Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New PRS SE Standards

synthetic

Paul Reed Smith has some new SE Standards at Summer NAMM. There are hardtail and tremolo versions, each with dual humbucker pickups. Sure, they're made in Korea, but they look pretty cool to me. They're solid mahogany, set neck, 22 fret with a "comfort contour" under your right wrist, unlike most non-SE PRS's. They come in Vintage Cherry, Mahogany and Black, all satin finishes. I would think that the nitro satin finish would sound sweeter than the gloss finishes, even though there's no maple top, because it's a thinner finish.

MSRP on these guitars is $599, and Sweetwater has them for $489. What's the verdict on Korean PRS guitars? Of course I'd replace the pickups right away, but are these worth buying? I like the idea of a Les Paul-toned hardtail PRS guitar that's comfortable to play for under $500. (Yeah, I'm a Strat-playing puss who sold his first Les Paul-shaped ESP because it hurt my arm...)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried a couple Santana SEs when they first came out and was not impressed. They were nice enough for $500 Korean guitars but they were still $500 Korean guitars. Didn't stand out as being any better than the myriad of Epiphones, Shecters or Ibanez guitars in that price range.

Others here have had more positive experiences with the SE line.

I like the camo finish on the SE Standard though.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

New finishes, I guess. The closest one they had before is the camoflauge version. Now they have that guitar with a nitro satin finish in dark red, brown and black with silver hardware. I assume that the satin finish will sound different than the gloss. They also had the Santana SE whick is similar, but I believe the neck is different and it has different finishes, a pickguard, etc.

I was interested in peoples' impressions of the Korean SE PRS guitars in general.

If you're at a 500.00 ceiling, and want a new guitar, you owe it to yourself to check out a Godin Freeway. It's the most impressive piece in that price range I've seen in years, and I'm a guy who browses thousands of guitars as a hobby. One model is available with maple fretboard, hum/single/hum, and a very thin figured maple top. It plays great, sounds fabulous, especially in positions 2 and 4, is lightweight and strat shaped. It's also made in North America. It's my next guitar for sure.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Of course I'd replace the hardware right away. I've already factored that into the price. :)

I checked out the Godin but I'm looking for more of a Les Paul sound. I already have a Strat (AV '62). The PRS is a mahagony guitar that seems like it would get that tone for me. And it looks nicer than the Godin LG to me, even though it's made in Asia. The one I picked up in Indianapolis looked like it was put together very well.

The keyboardist in my old band has a Santana SE. It was pretty nice; some problems with the upper frets most notably. Pickups were ok; neck was a bit thin for my preference but I'm used to an ES 335. But to put it in perspective: Our guitar player owns a dozen PRS guitars, not the SE's. If he was running late from work, he had no problem just coming in and grabbing that and using it. Often commented how good a piece he thought it was.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by synthetic:

Of course I'd replace the hardware right away. I've already factored that into the price. :)

I checked out the Godin but I'm looking for more of a Les Paul sound. I already have a Strat (AV '62). The PRS is a mahagony guitar that seems like it would get that tone for me. And it looks nicer than the Godin LG to me, even though it's made in Asia. The one I picked up in Indianapolis looked like it was put together very well.

Before you buy the SE, look into Carvin's offerings. I think it's usually a mistake to buy a budget/mid-price guitar and then spend more $$ to upgrade it. It doesn't increase the value of the guitar and usually doesn't make it any better. By the time you shill for new hardware, you're looking at around $600. Spend another couple of hundred and you can get a Carvin built to your specs that's as good as any of PRS' high-end models.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

i can certainly agree with that, i had one just like it. if you have small hands you may not like the neck. only the bridge is a Seymour Duncan (JB), but the yamaha neck pickup is very sweet. i would have kept mine but i am hooked on my p90s ( LG) and wasn't playing mine enough, so i traded for a Pacifica 812w.

the AES 620 is alot nicer than the SE prs models i have seen. definately check one out.

I like the one with P90's.

Korean Shorsplean.........I don't care if the Taliban is making them, long as it sounds and plays good. :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• 3 months later...

there is something seriously wrong with the McCarty's pricing at my local store. they want 4200.00 clams. when i see American prices i am suprised. with the exchange rate it makes no sense.

if you can swing a McCarty i would say go for it. my friend has a butterscotch solid mahogany one and it is sweet.

I think McCartys sell for about $1900 here. They're usually tagged at $3100.

I probably can't swing the McCarty. I played both of them today, and the SE neck seemed slightly thicker but not enough to cry about. I'll probably go for the SE Custom and then trade it for a McCarty someday.

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/guitars/gt_secustom.jpg

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Gotta agree with Gabriel E. when it comes to Carvins - great fit, finish, quality and playability, and U.S. made!

It's really hard for me to go with a Carvin when I can't get my hands on one to try out.

Archived