Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any converts to small picks?

alanfc

hi,

I'm trying something new and just bought these at lunch, have not tried yet. I've used the regular size picks for 23 years now and want to try these Jazz picks that are somwhere between the regular size and the tiny teardrop size.

so I haven't even tried them ! supposedly I can be more accurate and a little faster with these. Speed is not my goal. I'm not desperate, just curious.

any of you ever make this switch?

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I converted a few years ago. My favorite are the Gibson teardrop shaped "jazz" picks, but they are difficult to find. I've been using he Clayton ultrem gold teardrops .72mm. I found that it is easier to use a pick/fingers combination with the smaller picks and that's the only way I play if I use a pick at all.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Well, generally I don't use any picks at all, other than my fingers and nails.

But if I feel like using a pick, I favor either those small tear-drop shaped mandolin-picks AFTER I've bent 'em into a concave, arched shape, and filed and sanded their edges into a smooth, rounded radius. (Not unlike my nails.) I know, a lot of trouble to go to for a pick, right?

Or, the Dunlop Big Stubby picks, as-is, unless their edges need smoothing.

I'd like to have some of each shape in fossil ivory, and whatever the material is that Wegan picks are made from.

Either way, if I use a pick, I primarily ise only the very tip of the pick through or against the top of the string, almost as if it were a pen and I was scribbling on the tops of the strings. This works more efficiently and sounds clearer, with less pick-noise. Or, I'll use the side of the tip of the pick up along the side of the string, in a sort of brushing up-stroke, for that fat, warm, full, round "Brit-blues" tone on single-notes.

I do permutations of all of the above with just my nails and figertips, and, frankly, it generally feels and sounds much smoother than with a pick of any kind.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Cool! :cool:

See what I mean, about using less of the pick against the strings?

yes you're right-o.!

Last night I went out and bought 2 dozen of these pups.

I think the big diff is the pointy tip. And its shorter so it fully fits the pad of my index finger rather than going past the 1st joint like regular ones used to do. I don't know why but all the sudden after all these years I was starting to feel clumsy in the right hand. Part of it was that I didn't care about my playing but now after 23 years I'm trying to get better, and I noticed it.!

Rivera + Fender Strat

Made the change years ago. First the green thinner Dunlop jazz tortex, now the purple thicker jazz tortex. Love it for picking out single note things, seems easier to manuver with to me.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

The 3.0 Dunlop Stubby (purple) were all I used for 15 years until recently. They're *great* for clean single note lines, but not good for rhythmic playing. I've gone back to standard shaped Fender heavy picks. (My new found love of learning piano has reintroduced me to rhythm playing.)

If you need to clean up your right hand technique for soloing, I recommend them.

Dunlop Jazz Stubby

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I use the JD Jazz II picks most of the time (will use something 'lighter' for acoustic strumming though)- when getting a new one I usually sand down the tip with a nail file a bit to make it rounder and give it a "used" feel

even made me a custom pick out of 100 Pesetas once (even a bit smaller than the JD Jazz II's)

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I always use those big triangles (that look kinda like a Dorrito), so I'm probably not the best person to ask... :rolleyes:

:D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I just used these at rehearsal yesterday and they were fantastic. Strumming, harmonics, chugging (only a little), leads, picking twinkly notes in chords, all fine !
Rivera + Fender Strat

I tried them a couple of years back. I loved them when I was playing at home, but the first time I used them on stage they lasted about a song and a half. I was tearing up my index finger, and not in a cool rock-n-roll kind of way. I decided that they are for, uh, wimps that stand in one place and don't take their eyes off the fretboard. Great for jazz I guess...
www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by gtrwiz:

I decided that they are for, uh, wimps that stand in one place and don't take their eyes off the fretboard.

thats funny
Rivera + Fender Strat

Not the small picks, iut just recently tried for once fairly thick plectrum.

25 years ago I used to always use thin plectrums. Sometime later used medium once in a while.

I went to acoustic only for years and used mostly my fingers. Got back into electric, also still using fingers mostly. When I started using plectrums again, I just naturally went to mediums. A coule of songs I play need some really fast picking (blues style) in a few parts, and I always felt I was just shy of missing too many notes...missed a couple for sure, still could "dig in" for a real shining throug kinda heavy note...but something was missing.

The other day, I bought a pedal, and the only hany plectrum I has was thick...really thick. I don't know why I even bought it, but suddenly I was hitting the kinds of notes I kept trying for! Suddenly I could really dig in..

I was SAVED I tell ya! Saved!

Truly, I am going with the thick picks for a while and see if there are any drawbacks. The only thing I notices was on really soft passages I have to have a feather light hold on the pick and touch on the right hand...but that is easier to do I think than the opposite with a meduim.

I always thought heavy picks were just klunky and unweildy...

til now.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

I do a lot of recording, and one of the biggest parts of getting the right tone is selecting to right pick. If I'm doing something bright and chimey, I go for thin. The more aggresive I need to be the thicker the pick I use. I've also used quarters, stone picks, paint brushes, felt picks, etc. and all sound totally different. It's not exactly pactical for live use and probably only one or two people(guitar players) in the audience will notice the difference.
www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Not the small picks, iut just recently tried for once fairly thick plectrum.

25 years ago I used to always use thin plectrums. Sometime later used medium once in a while.

I went to acoustic only for years and used mostly my fingers. Got back into electric, also still using fingers mostly. When I started using plectrums again, I just naturally went to mediums. A coule of songs I play need some really fast picking (blues style) in a few parts, and I always felt I was just shy of missing too many notes...missed a couple for sure, still could "dig in" for a real shining throug kinda heavy note...but something was missing.

The other day, I bought a pedal, and the only hany plectrum I has was thick...really thick. I don't know why I even bought it, but suddenly I was hitting the kinds of notes I kept trying for! Suddenly I could really dig in..

I was SAVED I tell ya! Saved!

Truly, I am going with the thick picks for a while and see if there are any drawbacks. The only thing I notices was on really soft passages I have to have a feather light hold on the pick and touch on the right hand...but that is easier to do I think than the opposite with a meduim.

I always thought heavy picks were just klunky and unweildy...

til now.

yes thats good.... also for me I'd always thought the heavier picks were getting in the way but now I like & must have that instant response from the strings. My hand adapted quicker than I expected as far as rythym playing goes.
Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived