Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who Likes the Blues

Pappy P

Originally posted by Ricochet:

I love the blues. I like Robin Trower, but he doesn't pop in my head when I think of blues.

I understand why you say this, but the fact is that Trower has always been a blues based guitarist. He first played with the Paramounts, a British r&b band. Robin's playing with Procol Harum in the late 60's/early 70's was stone cold blues. Since then the blues has always informed his playing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Guitar55:

Peter Green is the Man! I actually got to meet him a few years ago at a Blues fest in NJ.

http://jobonanno.com/stuff/PGandMe.jpg

I cant tell you how envious i am. :eek: Peter Green was my main man from the start. I learned almost every early MAC tune note for note when I was younger. The sweetest tone of any blues player ever in my book. :thu::thu::thu:

Yeah man, the blues is where it all comes from. Gimme a recording with Ry Cooder, Rory Gallegher, Tab Benoit, Jimmy Thackery, Johnny Winter, RL Burnside, Albert King, Jimi, Stevie Ray & Jimmie, Duane and Dickie, Mike Bloomfieldl, BB King, and all the other usual suspects, playing stuff that makes you smell the sweat and the burning tubes, and I get happy for a long time...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't know how you can't love the blues. I always end my practice by putting on a blues track and just playin over it. Sometimes I look up and an hour has gone by and I'm still playing to the same track. I would bet my family is being awfully polite in not bitching about the repetition.

Pappy: I was a Robin Trower fan many years ago. When I first heard of him there was some buzz about him being the next great thing in guitar players. I wouldn't say he became that, but I like his blues style now and share your enthusiasm for him. :thu:

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I'm partial to the blues myself.

We're playing at the Kalamazoo Blues Festival next week - so I'll get to see several artists I haven't yet. The night we're on is all acoustic acts. I can't wait!

We're unplugging our show - I'm playing my 12-string, Paul's playing his acoustic bass, Pat's on hand drums, and Tony is playing a steel resonator. We're doing mostly originals.

"Twice Removed from Yesterday" and "Bridge of Sighs" are still among my favorite albums.

And "Daydream" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by cherri:

I'm partial to the blues myself.

We're playing at the Kalamazoo Blues Festival next week - so I'll get to see several artists I haven't yet. The night we're on is all acoustic acts. I can't wait!

We're unplugging our show - I'm playing my 12-string, Paul's playing his acoustic bass, Pat's on hand drums, and Tony is playing a steel resonator. We're doing mostly originals.

Hey, what are the dates of that festival? I'm going to be passing through Kalamazoo but I think its about the 12th of July. Nothing I'd like better than to take in a music festaval.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Love the blues......BB, Albert (Collins and King),

of course Stevie, Robert Johnson, Johnny Winter, Clapton, Howlin Wolf, Muddy, I could go on all night probably.

Robin Trower was heavily blues influenced. I have always dug him. I learned almost the whole Bridge of Sighs album in the 70's.

Interesting (at least to me) sidenote: The stepson is getting married on Saturday and is featuring several Trower tunes on the mix CD's I made for the reception. Long Misty Days, Lady Love, ++

Cherri:Kick A as always at the K'zoo fest.

Welcome Pappy Blues, are you really a pappy?

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Suggie Otis is a really underrated blues guitarists. I don't have much by him, and sadly it's all early stuff, but I caught him live about 10 years ago and he was amazing. Great tone, great feel!

Also saw Albert King live a few years before he died, sad loss.

Bbach - The dates are Thursday July 7th through Saturday July 9. We're on the 7th at 5:50.

Thanks, Bri! You know, I've gotten to where I'm more proficient on the 12-string than my Dot, but maybe that's because when I'm home and grab an instrument, it's usually the acoustic.

Speaking of underrated blues artists - I've been listening to a lot of Robert Randolf and the Family band lately. Besides him, John Gorka (not really a blues artist) and I've been receiving, swapping, and purchasing all sorts of local and regional blues CDs. I'm up for a CD swap, BTW, just PM me.

I remember staying up late and seeing B.B. King on the Tonight Show when I was a kid. I stole my sister's guitar the next day and have been playing ever since.
"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

Howdy MoeBlues04:

That's a good story. What king of Guitar did you steal from your sister?

I got my first guitar from My First Cousin who got it from my Brother after he died. It's a Yamaha FG something acoustic. I still have it. It just gets better with age. I just replaced the tuners and now I need new frets.

:D Guitar 55:

I think you and I might have been switched at birth. I sometimes get spiritual about my guitar playing. It's sorta like a zen thing with me.

With most blues the words are simple, but the feelings are raw. That what I like to have come through on my guitar playing: raw, raunchy and gritty guts.

:thu: Guitar Geezer: better late than never.

I'm not in a band, but would like to be. Do you know anyone who needs a guitarist/bassist?

Speaking of Hometown boys. He may not be that bluesy, but Steve Miller is a favorite of mine. I definately think he is underated. He attended my High School (Thomas Jefferson, just not the same year). Let's not forget late great Stevie Ray. My grand mother is buried in the same cemetary. May mother went to the same high school (Sunset, just not the same year). Oh yeah Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson passed through these parts as well.

Archived